Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.2 Breaks FCPX

Beware of 10.2. I installed it and now the Inspector is broken. No parameters show up. And Importing doesn't work. On both my Macs. I spent two hours on the phone with a senior Apple FCPX tech and he couldn't help. We did everything. Including a complete reinstall. It must be a plugin conflict. I'm going through removing plugins but they're located in so many places I have't found all of them yet. Bummer. FCPX needs a plugin manager control panel.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), FCPX

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:37 PM

7 replies

Apr 21, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Mitchla

When doing a complete reinstall, the sensible procedure is to NOT try and bring back everything, because that is likely to bring back whatever is causing the conflict.

You probably did not need to do a reinstall at all. Often the problem is caused by some corrupt cache or setting in the main user account. This can be tested by creating a new user and running FCP X from that account. More often than not, it works. Then you at least know something in your own account is causing the conflict.

Apr 21, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Mitchell Rose

Mitchell Rose wrote:

The next step the Apple Tech was going to try was partitioning my boot drive and install the OS and FCPX in it, but we ran out of time. Once I've removed all my plug-ins I'll try that. Not hopeful though, since the problem exists on both my Macs. And I don't want t have to reboot to a dedicated FCPX volume every time I want to work.

Actually, I don't think it is that surprising that the problem is the same on both macs.

I have often used Migration Assistant as an easy way to bring a new mac up to speed. It is extremely convenient and lets you pick up where you left off.

The problem is that any cruft that was in the older mac now lives also in the new one.

That is precisely why testing on a clean new system installation is useful. And then the path ought not to be to reboot to a different drive or partition; it would rather be: take advantage of this crisis to slowly rebuild your important stuff on the new system, and leave the cruft behind. The App Store works marvels for this, as there is no longer the need to fetch dvds, enter serial numbers, etc. Need to reinstall apps? Go to your purchases in the App Store and click a button.

Apr 22, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Mitchell Rose

If I could add to Luis' advice and comments: the tech's strategy of creating a new partition for Final Cut most probably doesn't anticipate an end state where you have to restart each time you want to start an editing session. Rather it would show you how FCP X would perform in a clean system. Actually, w ere I in your situation, I my choice would be to follow Luis' recommended route and install to a separate drive, rather than create a bootable volume on your HD. But that's a minor difference.

Once you have the app installed and (presumably) running like a top, you would then incrementally copy essential files from your HD – testing at each interval whether FCP still ran as well as it should. Then you might add less essential files – and probably see a lot of things that you could discard altogether. Somewhere in this process, something (or things0 you add are likely to break the app…and the causes of the conflicts will be iID'd.

Good luck.

Russ

10.2 Breaks FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.