Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone 6 - "erase and sync" to iTunes library to add non-iTunes music

I'm handy with technology, but not a tech head so bear with me.

My iPhone 5 16GB died so I bought a iPhone 6 64GB. Set it up and then "restored" my old iPhone 5 info from my iTunes backup onto it. So far, so good.

I want to manually add music from the iTunes library onto the new phone. The Music app on my new phone shows I can download from the Cloud any songs onto to it that I purchased thru iTunes. Fine. But I want to move over some of the many songs I added to iTunes over the years from CDs, other online services, etc.

When I click "Manually manage music and video" and try to sync music I get the infamous "The iPhone is synced with another library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync to this library?"

This sounds like what I should do without worry as I have the phone recently backed up to the Cloud AND my iTunes, and have done little with the new phone since buying it. I've put all the iPhone photos on a hard drives, too. So if i "erase and sync," will this just repopulate my phone with all the previous info backed up on iTunes (photos, contacts, calendar, apps, etc) PLUS the music I want to manually add from the iTunes library?

I know this may sound elementary to some of you, but honestly - I can't find any clear explanations online of what will be deleted and what will be added with the "erase and sync" in this situation.

Thanks, all.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:43 PM

There are no replies.

New iPhone 6 - "erase and sync" to iTunes library to add non-iTunes music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.