Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fastest way to upgrade several iPhones' iOS?

I've got a lot of iPhone 6's supplied with iOS 8.2. Lots of our users have iOS 8.3 on their old phones, so they can't restore their iCloud backups to their new phones. What's the fastest way of upgrading them?

I've tried doing it wirelessly on the phones before I hand them out, but it means I've got to manually connect them to our WiFi and answer a lot of questions, and wait about 10 times longer than the time estimate it reports. Takes about 30 minutes.

I'm now trying it via iTunes, but it claims it will take 3 hours. Hopefully it will take less for the second one, but past experience suggests it won't. It also assumes it's going to be my phone, so it gives it my phone's name. I assume that'll get overwritten when they restore, but I don't like it. Some of the users won't do a restore, so could leave it like that.

iOS 8.1

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 8:55 PM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 2:33 PM in response to pshute

Next morning. It's finished the download and I've upgraded the first phone. The second phone didn't require the download, but still has to go through the "Extracting software" phase before it can start upgrading. Slow, but probably faster that wireless upgrading, and will download less data in total if I do more than about 10 phones.

Fastest way to upgrade several iPhones' iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.