Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 Siri and voice to text not working

Since upgrading to iOS 8.3 my Siri and voice to text isn't working. The bar at the bottom is showing input and the microphone still works in voice memos and calls, but Siri and voice to text will not recognize input. Anyone have a fix for this

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 9:54 PM

I don't have that that problem with iOS 8.3

Try the standard troubleshooting steps in this order:

Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10-15 seconds). No data will be lost.

Restore: Connect your device to iTunes on your computer, backup, and then select Restore to Factory.

See here for more details on restore: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 9:54 PM in response to toolboy7

I don't have that that problem with iOS 8.3

Try the standard troubleshooting steps in this order:

Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10-15 seconds). No data will be lost.

Restore: Connect your device to iTunes on your computer, backup, and then select Restore to Factory.

See here for more details on restore: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

May 29, 2015 10:25 PM in response to toolboy7

Confirmed. THIS HAS NOT BEEN FIXED. This is also NOT a hardware problem. The internal mic works perfectly on every other app on the phone. I have a 6 plus with 8.3. Siri works with bluetooth headset and with the car bluetooth, but it will not listen to the internal mic. I hadn't noticed the problem, due to it being rare that I used Siri without the bluetooth, but now, I could really use it, that way. I'm attempting to downgrade the firmware, now. I'm seeing reports that Apple has stopped signing the 8.2 firmware, and if this is so, I'm stuck with 8.3, until some miracle causes Apple to fix this with a patch. Apple's QA seems to have really gone downhill, lately,

Jun 3, 2015 5:04 AM in response to toolboy7

I have the same problem. Using iPhone 6, iOS 8.3. Phone calls, voice control functions (not Siri) and voice recording app all pick up mic input fine.... just not Siri. I spoke to Apple Customer Support today and we came to a dead end. I went through all the steps... even factory restoring my phone. Nothing worked. We determined it doesn't seem to be hardware related but seems to be a Siri software bug. They are supposed to be looking into it further with the Siri Techs and following up on it by contacting me within a couple days. So... we shall see! I know Siri can be frustrating sometimes when it doesn't understand what we want, but what does work sure is nice and ya miss it when that functionality is gone.

Jun 4, 2015 4:46 PM in response to JpAppleFan

Turns out that I made an appointment and brought the phone to the Genius bar. They couldn't figure out the problem, even after some serious troubleshooting, so they replaced it under warranty, without cost. My new phone works perfectly, with ios 8.3. It seemed like it wouldn't have been a hardware problem, but the change of hardware was the solution, at least for me. This is a great reason to stick with Apple - try doing this with a Samsung at Verizon. 🙂

Jul 19, 2015 9:18 AM in response to paganpaul

I Had the same problem.i have the I phone 6 plus 64 gig my Siri didn't work or dictation.there's a mic in the earpiece speaker that Siri uses to listen to you.heres how you test it to see if the mic is broken.take a video with your front facing camera.when you play it back if you hear silence or static then your mic is broken.on mine all I heard was static.i took my phone to the Apple Store and the genius tested all of my phones speakers the earpiece speaker and mic was bad.he replaced the whole phone with a brand new one.i would suggest going to the Apple Store and have them test your phone hope this info helps

iOS 8.3 Siri and voice to text not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.