Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet only works while on VPN

Hey everyone, so I recently installed a VPN on my Macbook Pro. When it was first installed it wouldn't work for some reason and a forum somewhere I saw someone suggest deleting and changing my DNS, so I did and the VPN started working perfectly. Big issue now is, my internet won't work what so ever unless I'm connected to the VPN. I did some reading around and can come to the conclusion that it must be a DNS problem. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, I just want to be able to use my internet again while keeping my VPN

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 10:51 PM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 2:15 PM in response to slatts77

Back up all data.

Unlock the Network preference pane, if necessary, by clicking the lock icon in the lower left corner and entering your password. Cllck Advanced, open the DNS tab, and change the server addresses to the following:

That's Google DNS. Click OK, then Apply.

Test. Any difference?

Note:

I don't use Google DNS myself, though I have tested it, and I'm not recommending it or any other DNS provider; the server addresses are offered merely for testing purposes. There may be privacy and technical issues involved in using that service, which you should investigate personally before you decide whether to keep the settings. Other public DNS services exist.

Internet only works while on VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.