Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.2 losing published keyframes

I have published "Type on" keyframes from Motion to a custom FCPX Generator, but the keyframes are being dropped. When I set the keyframes up again in the Generator in FCPX, they remain until I quit and reopen FCPX. Then they've disappeared!

I produce weekly 30-minute TV programmes with an abundance of text overlays using "Type on" behaviour from custom Generators, and I often have several programmes on the go at once, so this is a disaster for me. Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 2:20 AM

12 replies

Apr 21, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ,

I have two text boxes, one for the heading and one for the content. I'm keyframing the "Type on" end parameter of the heading to be zero at the start then 100% after 0.5 seconds, and the "Type on" end parameter of the content to be zero at 0.5 seconds and 100% after 1.5 seconds.

Incidentally, I've sometimes found some of the keyframes remain for a few hours, occasionally after re-loading FCPX, but never after I've closed the computer down and restarted it the next day.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Martin

Apr 21, 2015 9:24 AM in response to MartinIssachar

Specifically, I created Final Cut Title project in Motion. It is composed of 7 lines of text. Each line is a separate text box. In the Inspector>Text>Layout, I publish the Type On> End parameter for each line.

Then, in FCPX 10.2, I enter the 7 lines of text and set keyframes to start and complete the Type On effect - matching the text to the narrator.

This has worked perfectly until 10.2. Now, I can still set the keyframes and it works fine in the edit session, but when I exit FCPX 10.2 and relaunch, the keyframes are gone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Apr 21, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

I think you've pointed us in the right direction here. I was using the Type on feature of Text > Layout to set keyframes on the end parameter. Your graphic shows use of the Type on behaviour from the Behaviours Library and that seems to work fine so far. Thanks.

Unfortunately I often have to update previous projects that use my previous method, so I'll have to replace the hundreds of instances I've used it. I've got other generators using the Type on feature of Text > Layout to set keyframes on the end parameter, so I'll have a look at them in the next few days.

Thanks

Martin

Apr 21, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

I've just realised this method has a huge disadvantage compared to my previous method - when I retime the generated clip on the timeline in FCPX, the Type on speed adjusts accordingly whereas I want it to remain fixed. I would normally want my header to type on from the start in 0.5 seconds and the content in 1 second after the header.

The only workround I've thought of so far is to have the content also start to type on at the start and to publish the type on behaviour so that I can take a copy of the generated clip with its text inserted and display that in sequence for whatever duration I require with type on switched off.

It would definitely help if the the Type on feature of Text > Layout to set keyframes was fixed.

Regards

Martin

10.2 losing published keyframes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.