Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i add more memory to 10.5.8

Hello, my mac is no longer working effectively. Is it possible to move all data to cloud applications and add more memory?

Many thanks

Philippa

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 2:27 AM

1 reply

Apr 21, 2015 3:25 PM in response to philippalclarke

There are two kind of 'memory' that may relevant here. RAM (random access memory) is the working memory in your system, used for active applications/data, and is usually measured in gigabytes (GB) - such as 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, etc.

Then there's persistent storage 'memory', or disk space which is generally data at rest (e.g. all your applications, documents, configurations, preferences, etc.) and almost always exceeds the RAM on your computer (the system can store a lot more data than it can (or needs to) actively process). Typically storage memory is measured in hundreds of GB (e.g. 256GB, 512GB) or terabytes (1TB, 4TB, etc.)

Insufficient amounts of either of them can impact performance, so it's important to know which one you're running out of.

Moving data to 'the cloud' might be a solution if you're running out of disk space - you could add additional disks of provide more space, or move some data to the cloud, thereby freeing up some space on your local disk, but it won't make any difference to the RAM in your system. If it's RAM you're running out of, your only options are to do less (e.g. run fewer applications at once), or upgrade the RAM to give you more headroom.

So, do you know which 'memory' you need more of?

how can i add more memory to 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.