Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IMac with Yosemite won't boot!

My IMac with Yosemite stopped booting. it starts the booting process but the progress bar stops in middle and after a few minutes the IMac shuts off. I tried pressing the shift key but safe mode won't show. What can I do other than having to haul the IMac to the Genius Bar? My computer is out of warranty...

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jordi

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 12:59 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 1:38 AM in response to Jordi32

Did this happen immediately after installing Yosemite?

If YES, did you install Trim before?

if yes: start up while holding CMD+R and choose "install OSX": this will reinstall Yosemite (and replace the compromised kext). Do not install Trim in Yosemite.

If NO on the first question:

start up while holding CMD+R and choose DiskUtility, in the FirstAid panel that it starts up in, choose your startup disk, read SMART STATUS (bottom right side) it should say "verified", then do "repair disk".

After that, quit DiskUtility and restart.

Apr 21, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Jordi32

I hope you have a backup.

If you've already re-installed OS X and it's not going into safe mode or normal boot but you can get into recovery you'll have to E&I (Erase and Install)

Go back into recovery choose the top level HD, select the partition tab, change layout from current to "1 Partition" Change the name to Macintosh HD or Mac HD and make sure the format is MAC OS Extended (Journaled) choose Apply/Partition ******THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DRIVE*****

Go to the top left choose disk utility>quit disk utility and then select reinstall OS X

My IMac with Yosemite won't boot!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.