Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with huge data usage

We are currently on the road and using an iphone as a wireless hotspot for access to the internet. We are finding that within minutes of connecting our Macbook Pro to it, we suddenly have a massive amount of data use, like 300MB in about 5 minutes with check a few emails without attachments and openning a single web page. This didn't appear to happen at home connected to our home Wifi network. We have dropbox and mackeeper installed which seem to automatically update, but I'm really not sure where all the data is going!. For instance, in the time it has taken to write this post there have been 50MB used. Has anyone else had this problem? It does not happen when we connect other devices like an ipad or other iphones.

Any hints or tips wound be appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 1:34 AM

7 replies

Apr 21, 2015 4:13 PM in response to Meremark

Any client on a network, including wireless clients you don't know about, could be consuming bandwidth. Wi-Fi networks must be protected with WPA2 security. If yours isn't, change the security setting on the access point. If it's already set that way, change the password. Make it a string of at least 8 random characters, including digits and upper- and lower-case letters. The password is saved in the keychain and you don't have to be able remember it; in fact, you shouldn't be able to remember it.

You make these changes in AirPort Utility, if the access point is an Apple device, or in a web browser otherwise.

If the network or the password was insecure, and bandwidth use returns to normal after securing it, you can be pretty sure the problem was caused by intruders.

But intrusion may not be the issue. Most often BitTorrent, iCloud, Dropbox, or some other cloud-data application is involved in cases of mysterious bandwidth use by a Mac. If you use iCloud, uncheck at least iCloud Drive in its preference pane and see whether there's any change. If you use third-party network backup or file-sync software, disable that. If you use a torrent client, remove it.

Otherwise, if you're running OS X 10.9 or later, you can see which processes are most active on the network.

Launch the Activity Monitor application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select All Processes from the View menu, if not already selected, and also select the Network tab.

Click the heading of the Sent Bytes column in the process table to sort the entries by bandwidth usage. You may have to click it twice to get the highest value at the top. What is it, and what is the process? Repeat with the Rcvd Bytes column.

Apr 21, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank Linc. Your replies are always extremely helpful.

I had decided it had something to do with icloud and had turned off nearly all of it, which seemed to make quite a difference. I also disabled automatic updates with dropbox.

I didn't know about the Activity Monitor (We're on OS X 10.10.2) and have opened as you suggested. The highest user appears to be something called kernel_task which uses about 3 times more than anything else. This morning it had used 6.8MB in about 30 minutes, all received data. It's also the highest sent data but on 170 KB. I don;t know what this process is and if there is something I can adjust with it to reduce this use. Any further advice would be appreciated.

It is all much improved this morning, when about 45 minutes online has only used 40MB, and yesterday it used about 3-400MB in the same time.

I did wonder about security of the iphone hotspot, but we've covered 2000km in 2 weeks and have had this issue the whole way, so it seems unlikely, unless we have a very persistent stalker.

Apr 21, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Meremark

iOS devices are designed to be very conservative with your bandwidth. Macs are not designed to do that. When you are tethered to your phone, your Mac doesn't know it is connected to a phone and may be doing software updates, iCloud synchronizations, e-mail attachments downloads, etc. All of these downloads can be triggered by actions outside of your computer. There really is not safe way to tether other than a massive data plan.

Problems with huge data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.