Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari will not launch

safari will not launch,just bounces twice then stops,also app icon does the same and i cant access 'about this mac'..i think i am using mavericks but not sure as i can find out ..any ideas anyone

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:53 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:39 AM in response to chazbass

Go step by step by step and test.

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all the lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14204

2. Delete Caches.db

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Hold "option" key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Caches > com.apple.Safari > Caches.db

Right click the Caches.db file and select "Move To Trash.

Close windows and relaunch Safari.

3. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

4. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

5. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn off Extensions if any and launch Safari again to test.

Turn on those one by one and test.

6. Deselect Proxies if selected.

System Preference > Network > Advanced > Proxies Tab

Under "Select Protocol", uncheck any box if selected.

Click "OK" then "Apply”.

Apr 21, 2015 6:29 AM in response to chazbass

If the above doesn't work, try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear and again when you log in. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don’t do them all at once.

Safe Mode - Mavericks also Yosemite

Safe Mode - About

safari will not launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.