Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air (2014) Thunderbolt to external TV

Morning Apple folks,

I have a Macbook Air 11", and I would like to be able to hook it up to external T.V.'s or Monitors for presentations as I travel.. I see that Apple does not make a Thunderbolt to HDMI Cable, and I bought a Mini Display Port to HDMI, but the MDP is way to big for the Thunderbolt input on the Macbook Air... Even though I was told that the Mini Display Port & Thunderbolt Port are identical - WRONG.

I love doing presentations on this Macbook, but I have to be able to hook up to an external monitor for presentations... HELP

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:20 AM

Mini Displayport and Thunderbolt use the same size sockets. I have a Mini Displayport to VGA (my clients tend to be late adopters 🙂 ) for my 13" MBA and it works fine.

Are you sure you have Mini - D? There's also Displayport, which is (unsurprisingly) bigger

16 replies

Apr 21, 2015 6:04 AM in response to nick101

This is really odd... My Macbook Air has the Thunderbolt designation directly next to the Port... And, the port is much, much smaller than what my Mini display Port to VGA adapter could even think about fitting into ? I purchased an Apple Mini Display Port to VGA just this weekend, in preparation for a presentation, and the Mini Connector was way to big ... It did fit into my old 2007 Macbook, but it not even close for my Air? Thanks for the quick reply, what am I missing 😟

Apr 21, 2015 6:22 AM in response to marilyn0220

I think you may have a Displayport adapter rather than a Mini Displayport adapter. You're right, the Thunderbolt port is tiny, but so is a Mini Displayport

This linked article might help because it shows a full size displayport. If I remember right, the mini version didn't hit MacBooks until 2008

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/10/21/apple-and-the-mini-displayport/

Apr 21, 2015 6:39 AM in response to marilyn0220

The new Macbook Air’s are equipped with only thunderbolt 1 ports.

And for your Knowledge, mini display port and thunderbolt port although physically similar, they are technically completely different.

- You can connect a thunderbolt equipped macbook air to a thunderbolt equipped Display.

- You can also connect mini Display port equipped Apple Cinema Display or any other display to a Thunderbolt equipped Macbook Air.

- But you just cannot connect a Thunderbolt equipped display to an older Macbook pro (2011 and older) equipped with a mini display port.

Apr 21, 2015 6:58 AM in response to marilyn0220

Marilyn, do you really think that just for the 11” macbook air, Apple shrunk the thunderbolt port size....?? 🙂 🙂

If thats the case, you have completely mistaken. The size of thunderbolt port is universal in the new Macbook Airs and pros. The cable suggested by me will certainly fit into your thunderbolt port and the other end going straight into the external TV or monitor without any need for an adaptor.....

Apr 21, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Grane Duke

Thanks Grane, and NO I don't think I have a crazy improperly produced Air... What I do know to be a fact, is that what I purchased, which I published above DOES NOT FIT INTO MY AIR... Now, you can have that as you may, but I know what my hands and eyes are seeing and doing... Does not fit, is Does not fit all day long... Thx for your replies, but I took a bit of offense to your last one.. If that was not your intent, I sincerely apologize..

Thx again for everyone's help, it is very much appreciated..

Apr 21, 2015 7:30 AM in response to marilyn0220

Marilyn,

Here's a link to the Staples page with what you'll likely need.

Though the packaging on the item you purchased may well read "Mini Display Port" know that these things, especially the cheap ones, likely were produced and packaged in a foreign country and as such may be improperly marked and marketed.

If you have one near by, an Apple Store or even a Best Buy will have more knowledgeable staff to make sure you get the proper mini display port to HDMI that you need to get on with your work.

d

http://www.staples.com/mini+display+port+to+hdmi/directory_mini+display+port+to+ hdmi?autocompletesearchkey=mini+display+…

Macbook Air (2014) Thunderbolt to external TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.