Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having start up issues - unsure if software or hardware

Hello.

in February, I bought a reburbished 2014 MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Starting from Sunday, it began delaying start up. Today was a lot longer than usual. So I knew there was an issue. I shut it down, and tried to access Safe Mode by holding down the shift key. It ends up taking longer, after a minute and 20 seconds the apple logo starts up and then login screen. So it ignores my safe mode request. I log in, and suddenly the screen fliickers with white stripes running down. Similar to what VHS tapes do or when you tune the old TV.

I Went onto Disk Utility and tried to see if that could tell me any problems. Kind of pointless as you may of guessed. Then I thought I'd try to use Time Machine. Nothing. Discovered it was turned off. Luckily I use Google Drive so my uni files are backed up.

So I have no idea what to do. New computer, I bought online on Apple website, and because it's refurbished, maybe it's a hardware issue causing the flickering screen. It refuses to go into safe mode, and I don't think reinstalling does anything.

Does anyone know if it's hardware or software? Can I contact apple support via email instead? Or do I have to call them?

THanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 2:01 AM

3 replies

Having start up issues - unsure if software or hardware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.