Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen. Cannot restart

I was using my mba in hot weather. It began to act erratically, so I shut it down. Back home I opened it, got the login screen, but no response from the kb. I typed but no characters appeared in the login box. After the batt ran down, nothing. Not even the login screen. Black screen.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 2:49 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 2:58 AM in response to Ian999

Please restart your computer in Safe mode by taking these steps:

- Click on the Apple sign() at the upper left corner of the Desktop, select 'Shut down' from a drop-down menu;

- Wait until your computer turns off, then press the Power button(⌽);

- Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift(⇧) key. It should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone;

- Release the Shift(⇧) key when you see a grey Apple sign() and the progress bar below;

This will force the system to perform several maintenance routines and load essential system software.

Once you've seen the Desktop, start a Disk Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors:

- Open Disk Utility application:

1. Click on Finder at the bottom of your Desktop;

2. Select Applications folder from Finder's left sidebar and then open Utilities folder (or press Command(⌘)-Shift(⇧)-U), double-click on Disk Utility icon;

- Choose your main hard drive from the left sidebar ('Macintosh HD', usually);

- Click on 'Verify Disc' at the bottom right corner, your Mac will perform a diagnostic test. Click on 'Repair Disk' if prompted to fix problems, or follow instructions given on the Disk Utility window;

- Once the routine finished, click on ""Verify Disc Permissions"", after it's done, click on 'Repair Disc Permissions';

- Wait until the process's finished and shut down your Mac, turn it back on in 30 seconds;

Black screen. Cannot restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.