Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving to Photos will preserve print products?

Hi,

Question 1: print products

When you start using the new Photos app, you can convert your iPhoto Library.

When you convert your iPhoto Library will it also include previously created print products (e.g. Photobook)?

Does anyone can confirm this? Via Apple Support I heard it may lack certain themes. But is there any new Photos user who can see their photobooks created previously in iPhoto?

Question 2: My iPhoto's library is in the twilight zone

I have a MacBook Pro from 2008, which had OSX 10.5 and iPhoto v7 preinstalled.

Since I could not order Print Products at Apple with iPhoto v7, I decided to upgrade and purchased Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) at Apple.

After upgrading the hardware (SSD+8GB memory), I installed Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) from DVD.

Once running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6), I updated to the latest release: Yosemite (OSX 10.10.3).

Since iPhoto is removed from the App store, I only have the new Photos app and an old iPhoto library (v7.x).

So now my iPhoto library is in the twilight zone: v7.x and no way to open it. Any advise on this?

PS: My iPhoto came as pre-installed iLife '08 bundle with my new Mac in 2008. So iPhoto is not in my Purchases list in the App Store (also not hidden).
If it was in the Purchases list, I could install iPhoto from there (which is pushed as 9.6.1 apperently).

Via E-bay, I bought a second handed iPhoto v9.6, which installed succesfully.

However the icon is a 'forbidden' sign and I can not open the application.

The error says: this version is not supported on Mac OSX 10.10.3 and I should update iPhoto via the App Store (including the link).

The link to the App Store is unable to open due to a non-existing product in the App Store.

Official Apple Support leaves me on my own and says there is no way to get the 9.6.1 update.

Thanks in advance,

Sander Fiers

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:25 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 4:53 AM in response to sanderfiers

When you convert your iPhoto Library will it also include previously created print products (e.g. Photobook)?

No, your print products will migrate as albums, but not as print products, since the templates will be different.

If you had kept the Mac on SnowLeopard, you could have upgraded the library with iPhoto Library Upgrader( iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader)

And then bought an iLife '11 installer disk to upgrade to iPhoto '11. This version would be updated with the updaters on apple'S support page.

And the updated iPhoto Library could have been opened in Photos after upgrading to Yosemite.

Do you see any way to restore your SnowLeopard setup from your backup and convert your iPhoto Library to iPhoto '11 before you migrate? Or let a friend or family member do it for you, on a Mac that has iPhoto '11?

Via E-bay, I bought a second handed iPhoto v9.6, which installed succesfully.

Apps from the App Store cannot be sold second hand, because they are only licence to the AppleID used to buy them.

And only iPhoto 9.6.1 will run on Yosemite 10.10.3.

Official Apple Support leaves me on my own and says there is no way to get the 9.6.1 update.

Because from iPhoto 7.x.x is a purchased Upgrade and not an update. And Apple stopped selling new major upgrades. You are a month late, unfortunately.

Apr 21, 2015 5:30 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie, thanks for your effort to reply.

1. Printed Products
    To order the printed Photobook as I created it in iPhoto 7.x, I can assume now I would have to order it from within iPhoto 11.
    The new Photos app is no option for this.
  2. Upgrade library on Snow Leopard
    I could offcourse redo the whole thing and install Snow Leopard again. However that is no solution. When you run the iPhoto Library Upgrader, from within the process just prior to finishing, it want to open iPhoto 11. The iPhoto 11 I have is v9.6, which does not run on Maverick (10.9), so my guess is that it wouldn't run on previous versions either, like Snow Leopard (10.6).
  3. E-bay
    Because iPhoto is no longer in the App Store, I bought it second handed for that reason.
  4. Friend with iPhoto
    I have a friend which has a Mac running Maverick (10.9) with iPhoto (v9.5.1). The friend doesn't use iPhoto at all.
    I think the best way is to go over to my friend, with my outdated iPhoto library (v7.x) on an external HD (HFS+ format!).
    Copy that out-dated iPhoto Library (v7.x) to local disk. Upgrade the iPhoto library (v7.x) with the Library Upgrader and iPhoto v9.5.1.
    Open the up-to-date local iPhoto library (v9.x).
    Order my Printed Photobook from within that iPhoto v9.5.1.
    Then move the converted Library (v9.x) back to the external HD.
    And back at home on my MacBook running Yosemite (10.10.3) copy the up-to-date iPhoto Library (v9.x) to my local disk.
    Open that up-to-date iPhoto Library (v9.x) on local disk with Photos and let it convert to Photos.
    Try to forget of the very nice application called iPhoto.
    And then I will have to use Photos (in despite of the negative aspects early adaptors have with the new app).
    The only sad thing is: the iPhoto v9.5.1 my friend has, came pre-installed with her Mac. If it was a purchased one, it would have been better.
    Then she could login with her Apple ID in the App Store on my MacBook. And normally then I would have the iPhoto v9.6.1 installer/updater in the Purchases list. But that would have been Utopia offcourse... I know this isn't very legally. But it would be a temporary workaround untill Apple releases a decent version of Photos. And not the beta version which is live now.

Apr 21, 2015 9:29 AM in response to sanderfiers

The quickest, best and easiest solution for my issue was this:

• Find a Mac with the latest iPhoto version: v9.6.1
  • Copy the application (about 1,7GB) from that Mac's Application folder to a USB stick or external HD.
  • Backup your own iPhoto application (v9.6) by moving it from the Application folder to the USB stick or external HD.
    Remember, you will not be able to download it again from the App Store. So make sure you can rollback.
  • Then copy the iPhoto v9.6.1 application from USB stick or external HD to your own Application folder.
  • Then you will be able to open iPhoto (v9.6.1) correctly under Yosemite (OSX 10.10.3)

I downloaded the iPhoto Library Upgrader and updated a copy of my old iPhoto Library (v7.x).

Afterwards I could open my iPhoto Library without any issues.

Even my printed products like photobooks were available.

When selecting them, I got a warning it needed to be updated.
I confirmed, and 20 seconds later, I was able to see my photobook again.

PS: Above procedure will not work with more complex products like the software from Adobe. But for iPhoto, it works like a charm.

Apr 21, 2015 9:47 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

No, your print products will migrate as albums, but not as print products, since the templates will be different.

If you had kept the Mac on SnowLeopard, you could have upgraded the library with iPhoto Library Upgrader( iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader)

Just to clarify...

When you migrate Print Books from iPhoto 9.6.1 they will be listed in the Projects section and remain as Books, although the process of opening them for the first time may take a while (sometimes hours). If the theme used to set the book layout no longer exists in Photos, it will be downloaded from Apple servers, just for you! This is not true for missing Slideshow themes.

I don't know how migrated Postcards, Calendars, and other print products behave.

Moving to Photos will preserve print products?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.