Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch in the shower

Hi everyone,

since the Apple Watch is rated ip X7 can you wear it while having a shower ? 🙂

Thanks !

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 10:43 AM

I believe Tim Cook says that he does. However, if something goes wrong with his Apple Watch, it's not going to be very hard for him to get a replacement. I'm curious, why would you need to wear a watch in the shower?

Personally, I can't imagine taking a $400 piece of electronics into the shower. First, why would you risk that and second, as you're supposed to wear the watch snug against your skin, you'd either end up not getting your arm clean or getting it damp enough underneath to cause problems (bacteria, chafing, rashes, etc). Look up the studies that have been done about health care professionals who leave their wedding rings on when they wash their hands.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 10:43 AM in response to ]Pandora[

I believe Tim Cook says that he does. However, if something goes wrong with his Apple Watch, it's not going to be very hard for him to get a replacement. I'm curious, why would you need to wear a watch in the shower?

Personally, I can't imagine taking a $400 piece of electronics into the shower. First, why would you risk that and second, as you're supposed to wear the watch snug against your skin, you'd either end up not getting your arm clean or getting it damp enough underneath to cause problems (bacteria, chafing, rashes, etc). Look up the studies that have been done about health care professionals who leave their wedding rings on when they wash their hands.

Apr 21, 2015 11:23 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

I agree with Meg. I never put my watch and/or rings on until after I have taken my shower. Considering the price, as she mentioned, I wouldn't even consider it, but just would be comfortable if there was an accidental catch in the rain.

The original Jawbone UP band was supposed to be something you could wear in the shower. That didn't end well.

Apr 21, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Kilgore-Trout wrote:

Why would anyone want to wear a watch in the shower?

The OP has said they would like to control their music. Not, by far, the worst reason I've heard. If I did't live with a lot of other people and shower at 5:30 in the morning, I would listen to music while I showered.

Over on the Pebble forums, people had their knickers in a twist in one thread because they felt they should simplly never have to take their watch off because..... I never figured out why they were so upset.

May 15, 2015 7:45 AM in response to ]Pandora[

You really shouldn't. I did it a couple times and would end up with muffled speakers for a few hours afterwards. this means that water gets inside which is bad and can cause worse problems than just muffled speakers. I know Tim showers with his watch but as Meg said, he doesn't really have anything to worry about. and just because apple's CEO does something doesn't mean it's safe to do so or that your warranty won't be void if you do. I too used the watch to control music but after these instances of muffled/not working speakers, I've given up on the idea. Just leave a playlist on and jump in;. old school.

Apple Watch in the shower

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.