Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set new shared folders to inherit permissions from the parent folder?

Am running file sharing on an OS 10.9.5 machine. This is not an OS-X Server.

9 users connect to this machine. They create folders and store files on it. All the users who connect are in a group which has read and write permissions on the volume in which they store files. But when they create new folders, the permissions on the new folder is 755. I have changed the umask to 002 and this works for users who might create a folder locally but does not work for network connected users. All users are AFP and, if it matters, are on 10.8.5. The OS versions are held back for good reason.

Is there a way to enable Inherited Permissions for new network created folders on the standard client OS?

If not, can I do so on the server OS? I have several older OS-X Server machines where this is a possibility.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate but most posts like this seem to concern locally created files and folders and not network shared folders.)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:17 AM

1 reply

Can I set new shared folders to inherit permissions from the parent folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.