Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac SSHD Options

Hi,

i have a iMac "Core i5" 3.2 27-Inch (Late 2013), and the hdd need to be replaced, i am looking for an opinion regarding brand and compatibility for 1TB SSHD drive, what you guys recommend me for this.

Thank you

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:40 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 7:28 AM in response to drcf

You mean a SSD I suppose (a solid state disk), this will be MUCH faster than the hdd.

Lately all SSD makers have sophisticated controllers in their SSD's. This is important, because the Garbage Collection is important to retain write speed when ageing.

Good SSD 1TB are: Crucial, Samsung, Intel, OWC. You do not need Pro versions, the price of a 1TB SSD is around 400-500$.

Whatever you install: initially format it Max OS Extended (journaled) with Guid Partition Table.

When it is formatted (applied) still in DiskUtility Partition Tab grab the lower right corner of the partition and drag it up until the unpartioned part is about 30 GB. Then apply.

This leaves you with a bit smaller partition and the rest is used by the SSD itself as "overprovisioning", which makes Garbage Collection much more efficient.

Lex

Apr 21, 2015 8:07 AM in response to drcf

drcf wrote:

Hi Lex,

I am think in replacing for a hybrid drive an SSDHD,and take advantages of both worlds 🙂, but not sure about models that are compatible, wit hmy machine.

thanks

It sounds like what you will doing is your own hack of a Fusion drive which is a combination small SSD and internal HD that are "fused" together with software. Or you may be considering a hybrid HD drive, this will improve performance slightly but nothing like a true SSD or even a Fusion drive.

If you intend to do this, remember any remaining warranty (including AppleCare) will be voided. Also opening a 2012 and later iMac is VERY difficult so unless you are extremely confident that you can tackle this yourself, you may want to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) do the work for you.

Good luck.

Apr 21, 2015 9:11 AM in response to drcf

I would not do anything FusionDrive, not hardware and not software:

- unnecessary because the prices are close together,

- the FusionDrive software is already a long time "out",

- SSDs have a much longer lifetime than HDDs, thus you gain no lifetime against a hdd,

- the number of writes on the ssd-part is much higher when you use fusiondrive than when you use "standard" os, and thus the Garbage Collection must do many more writes,

- low efficiency because of the "housekeeping" actions by the OS,

- when you use a "hybrid" drive without the FusionDrive OS, it will not really speed up things.

- as you can see on the market, hybrid drives are out already a long time, but for one particular hybrid drive that is still available.

Lex

iMac SSHD Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.