Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 MBP SSD upgrade Mavericks problem

hey all,

so I took my 2012 Macbook Pro (it had ceased being able to fully boot up) to the apple store and found out my internal HDD had failed. I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO SSD to replace it and the cables and tools to do it myself.

ive read read in many forums how to create a bootable USB Mavericks drive but - I can't get into the AppStore to download it because my computer won't boot up with my current HDD. I do have a SATA to USB cable - is there a way to hook my new SSD, connect to the Internet and download mavericks?

or does anyone have a better way to get Mavericks onto the new SSD so I can install it as my internal drive? I do also have a time machine backup on another external drive so I don't mind a clean install of Mavericks.

i do not still have the boot DVDs that came with my MBP. thanks in advance,

S

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:05 AM

A 2012 MBP did not come with install disks, it came with Lion installed.

Boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

The result should be a display with a revolving globe.

By following the instructions, your MBP will be connected to the Apple servers.

This will allow you to install the ORIGINAL OSX, Lion (10.7.5).

When you have Lion installed, then you can go to your App store account and down load Mavericks and install it.

You will need a solid Internet connection.

Ciao.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 6:05 AM in response to brockholiday

A 2012 MBP did not come with install disks, it came with Lion installed.

Boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

The result should be a display with a revolving globe.

By following the instructions, your MBP will be connected to the Apple servers.

This will allow you to install the ORIGINAL OSX, Lion (10.7.5).

When you have Lion installed, then you can go to your App store account and down load Mavericks and install it.

You will need a solid Internet connection.

Ciao.

Apr 21, 2015 12:42 PM in response to brockholiday

brockholiday wrote:

or is it possible to just install the new drive and do the opt-cmnd-R method?

Yes, you can instal the SDD first. Then boot the MBP as instructed and there will be a 4 option menu with Disk Utility as one option. Open that first and format the new SSD in Disk Utility>Erase to mac OS Extended (Journaled). The you can proceed to install the Lion OSX.

Ciao.

2012 MBP SSD upgrade Mavericks problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.