Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since upgrading to the latest version of iPhoto I can't sync albums to either my iPhone 6.0 or iPad Air. The selected album button does not appear in the sync menu anymore.

Since upgrading to the latest version of iPhoto (2015) I can't sync albums to either my iPhone 6.0 or iPad Air. The selected album / events & faces button does not appear in the sync menu anymore with either device plugged in. All the available software updates have been applied. I only have iPhotos software on my Mac so it is the default app.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 4:24 AM

11 replies

Apr 21, 2015 4:38 AM in response to Chris Jones1

Since upgrading to the latest version of iPhoto (2015) I can't sync albums to either my iPhone 6.0 or iPad Air. The selected album / events & faces button does not appear in the sync menu anymore with either device plugged in.

"Since upgrading to the latest version of iPhoto (2015)" - does that mean you are running iPhoto 9.6.1, or have you migrated to "Photos"?

Are you trying to sync albums to your iPad, iPhone using iTunes? iPhoto has never syned to your devices, only imported from your devices.

And iTunes does no longer sync to your devices, if you enabled iCloud Photo Library on the devices. Then you have to sync using iCloud Photo Library.

Apr 21, 2015 5:11 AM in response to Chris Jones1

Everything syncs fine on both devices it just photos I have a problem with, have never used iCloud to store my photos and it is switched off.

As far as I can see, syncing the Photos Library with iTunes to the devices is not supported. This documents lists it only for iPhoto, Aperture, and folders, see:

Sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in iTunes - Apple Support

added: The above mentioned document must be out of date. The Photos Help says differently:

Use iTunes to transfer photos to iOS devices and Apple TV

If you aren’t using iCloud Photo Library, you can use iTunes to transfer the photos in your Photos library to iPad, iPhone, iPod, or Apple TV. For more information and instructions for transferring photos using iTunes, open iTunes, then choose Help > iTunes Help.

If iTunes does not see your Photos Library,you may not have enabled it as the System Photo Library in the Photos > Preferences > General. Only the System Photo Library can sync.

Apr 27, 2015 7:15 AM in response to becks1688

I tried to change the System Photo Library like you suggested, but it is greyed out. What do I have to do to remove iPhoto as the primary, because every time I open it, it tells me to open Photos since it was migrated...

If the option is greyed out, the library is already the System Photos Library. The option is only available when browsing libraries, that are not currently the System Photos Library.

Since upgrading to the latest version of iPhoto I can't sync albums to either my iPhone 6.0 or iPad Air. The selected album button does not appear in the sync menu anymore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.