Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my Iphone 6 plus upgrade from 8.1.2 to 8.3?

I can get to where i accept the terms etc, but then the upgrade freezes. I've let it sit for a couple of hours but it does nothing. The weird part is, the rest of the phone functions fine. I can go back to my home screen and continue to do other stuff, just the upgrade process appears frozen.

This was also the case when I tried the 8.2 upgrade. I'm hoping to avoid going into a store because since I cant currently log into icloud on my phone I will lose my contacts most likely if they do a reset on the device.

Any advice would be appreciated.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2, Trying to upgrade to 8.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 4:58 AM

1 reply

Apr 21, 2015 7:14 AM in response to bkist21

Do you have enough room on the device?

A jump from 8.1.x to 8.3 requires the download of the full installer, which is over 1GB in size, COMPRESSED. Then it need room to unpack and verify it before applying, which in turn needs working space. We're talking about 5-6GB minimum if you're doing all this Over The Air.

Much better bet is getting a computer (Mac preferred), installing iTunes and doing the update thru that program. The installer gets downloaded, unpacked and checked on the computer before getting applied to the phone, drastically reducing the required space. Plus you do a backup before the update so the entire guts of the phone are safe on the computer, in case anything goes wrong.

Why won't my Iphone 6 plus upgrade from 8.1.2 to 8.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.