Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my macbook the reason why my hard disks and usbs are getting corrupted?

Hello,

2 external hard disks and a USB of mine has been corrupted out of sudden over a time span of 2 months, the hard disks I only connect them to my Macbook Air, the USB I connect to many computers.

I took my mac to the apple care they have ran all tests and it passed them all. I was wondering if my mac is the one causing my external disks to get corrupted out of sudden.

Please help as I am losing lots of data, and I cant keep changing external hard disks and USBs....

Help..

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 12:58 AM

The external hard disks mostly gets corrupted incase of a power outage or power failure when the external hard disk and mac are transferring some files.

In that case only the cache files are transferred and not the data files which may corrupt the files.

HDD corruption can also be caused due to some already corrupted files sitting and corrupting the other files.

It can also be caused due to Viruses or Malwares. But here the chances are very rare as there are very very few viruses ever created for Mac OS.

It can also be caused due to physical shock damage by damaging the main platters in the hard disk.

Try to repair the Hard disk by running Disk utility. Applications > Utilities folder > Disk Utility. Then select your external drive on the left hand column and select the Verify disk option and later after the verification select the repair disk option and try to repair it. If that doesn’t help then you will need to buy Disk Warrior.

Disk Warrior is an excellent Disk Directory repair tool......http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Never doubt Disk Warriors potentials as it has helped many users.

Hope this helps.....

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2015 12:58 AM in response to nmwe999

The external hard disks mostly gets corrupted incase of a power outage or power failure when the external hard disk and mac are transferring some files.

In that case only the cache files are transferred and not the data files which may corrupt the files.

HDD corruption can also be caused due to some already corrupted files sitting and corrupting the other files.

It can also be caused due to Viruses or Malwares. But here the chances are very rare as there are very very few viruses ever created for Mac OS.

It can also be caused due to physical shock damage by damaging the main platters in the hard disk.

Try to repair the Hard disk by running Disk utility. Applications > Utilities folder > Disk Utility. Then select your external drive on the left hand column and select the Verify disk option and later after the verification select the repair disk option and try to repair it. If that doesn’t help then you will need to buy Disk Warrior.

Disk Warrior is an excellent Disk Directory repair tool......http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Never doubt Disk Warriors potentials as it has helped many users.

Hope this helps.....

Is my macbook the reason why my hard disks and usbs are getting corrupted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.