Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Macbook running Tiger 10.4.11, Safari 4.1.3 I keep getting messages that my browser is unsupported and needs to be updated, but at the same time when I try to upgrade software I'm told my software is up to date.

I have a Macbook running Tiger 10.4.11, Safari 4.1.3 On some websites I get messages that my browser is unsupported and needs to be updated, but at the same time when I try to upgrade, I'm told my software is up to date.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:32 AM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2015 7:13 AM in response to llamov

You are up to date -- as far as Tiger OS goes. Software Update only reports updates for the particular OSX version you are using and that, as others have observed, is several major upgrade versions behind the current version.

If you are really desperate for a newer browser and need one right now you can try the Intel version of TenFourFox which is a port of Firefox being supported by a diligent crew for older computer users. Note, however, the newer versions do not support plugins so if Flash is an important part of your browsing you will need to do a major software upgrade on your computer.

Apr 21, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Limnos

The fact that my Mac and browser are not up to date isn't a concern in and of itself. The Mac I refer to is one used by my wife and given to her by our daughter in law. My wife is something of a Ludite but at age 60+ she has returned to college to finish her degrees, which has required her to start using a computer for the first time. Her requirements are simple: be able to use MS Word and use the internet. I've been using computers since the 1980's, but only PC's for the past 20 years or so. The last Mac I owned came standard with MacWrite built in.

The one and only reason the message about the unsupported browser concerns me is that certain websites won't open after delivering that message. The PC I use is an older Thinkpad running and older version of Windows and I have no such issues.

So; how can I solve this problem cheaply and easily? My Mac has an Intel dual core processor and 2 gigs of RAM. Will it support a newer OS?

I have a Macbook running Tiger 10.4.11, Safari 4.1.3 I keep getting messages that my browser is unsupported and needs to be updated, but at the same time when I try to upgrade software I'm told my software is up to date.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.