Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

very slow charging

My macbook air has suddenly had 2 episodes of blackouts yesterday the battery was 15 % at that time. I had reset SMC and PRAM (as given on many discussions). Today I am facing this problem that my macbook air is not charging properly though showing connected it is showing 6 hour 15 minutes to full charge(@ 62 %. From 29 to 39 % it was fast then it slowed. I had put to the system sleep then after 45 min it is 62% and after that it is stuck or rather increasing % by % in 5 to 10 min. now at 64% it is saying 7 hour 12 minutes to full charge.

My battery health is normal. User uploaded file

Please advise.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:47 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Simmimac

Never discharge your Macbook Air battery to as low as 15%. You can discharge your battery to around 40 - 50% of the total charge and that too only once or twice a month. Always make it a point to keep your macbook connected to a power source to save your charge cycle counts.

The Yosemite battery status in the menu bar acts funny sometimes. Never rely for the actual battery status in the battery menu bar icon. Many users are reporting it buggy.

Instead download iStat menu’s 5 or Cocunut battery to get the real battery status, because these apps retrieve the information directly from the battery system of MAC OS X.

Here are the links.......

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Hope this helps.....

Apr 21, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Grane Duke

The life cycle of the battery is dependent on number of recharges if a person recharges again and again as one is not utilising the full capacity then its life will reduce. My total recharges are 207. all the software use only the inbuilt info of the system to give the right values. Mac air displays every thing in it "System Info".

Apr 21, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Simmimac

Simmimac, you are partially correct that the battery life cycle depends on the number of recharges. You know, the biggest enemy of a battery is Deep discharge and Heat. Never try to discharge the battery by running between 0 - 10%. Also, never ever wait for the battery to reach the level of 2 - 3 %, its very bad for the battery health. The Macbook batteries are not designed like mobile phone batteries that can be allowed to deep discharge.

A macbook battery should always be discharged to the level of 40 - 50% of the total charge only once or twice a month. A charge cycle plays a minor role in the battery life. You can easily damage a battery without increasing its Charge cycle count by deep discharging it daily or running a hot macbook which in turn heats up the battery as well. Eg; Its always good to drive a car for about 3000 miles with a proper set of tyres. Whereas its very bad to drive a car for about 100 miles with defective set of tyres. I hope you understand what I mean to say......🙂 🙂 If you ask anyone here who has knowledge on batteries will agree with me.

Always run your macbook on a power adapter and never ever drain the battery to the level of 10%.

Hope this helps.

very slow charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.