Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How are people managing with iOS 8.3 on 5th Gen iPod Touch?

Does it give better performance than iOS 7.1.2?

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:24 AM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:41 PM in response to jaissal_89

Well, I'm currently using iOS 8, since I'm too afraid of my iPod touch becoming laggy with newer software. I know that I'm not actually using iOS 8.3, but it only has a few extra features (like the new Emoji keyboard or App Store password settings). To me, not worth downloading at the risk of slowdown.

I, personally, don't like iOS 8 too much. Granted, there are some nice new features, but I've heard plenty of horror stories from other users on older hardware (iPod touch 5th gen, iPhone 4s), probably because the hardware is from four years ago. I bought my iPod touch 5th gen nearly a month ago, and the battery life is no better than my 2.5 year old iPod touch 4th gen. I do notice stutter and lag, but this is rare. However, I am expecting my iPod touch to be slow two years down the line. The same thing happened to my iPod touch 4th gen running iOS 6.1.6. It was so slow.

I'm not sure if iOS 7, in general, is any better than iOS 8, but I am going to assume so, since second updates on Apple devices tend to slow them down.

I would stay on iOS 7. It is like iOS 8, only with some features (and bugs) cut out.

Of course, if your iPod touch is already slow, then a newer software might help, but I wouldn't risk it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.