Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless networking behind an ATT Uverse 2Wire 3800HGV-B

I have the ATT Uverse 2Wire 3800HGV-B installed (in a front closet). Sadly the wireless signal attenuates with walls and distance.

I want to put it in bridge mode and install an AE into an Ethernet port in a more common area so that the signal goes further.

So the path would be ..2Wire 3800HGV-B (wireless signal turned off now)...Ethernet cable...Ethernet switch...Ethernet wall wiring...Ethernet wall jack...Ethernet cable...back of AE...now providing the wireless signal for the home.

Will this work?

Thanks,

Tim

Airport-OTHER

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 12:03 PM

Will this work?

Yes

No need to put the 2Wire in bridge mode.....I doubt if this is possible anyway.....just turn off the wireless function of the 2Wire if you don't need another wireless network. (Turning the wireless function of the 2Wire off will not place it in bridge mode, if that might what you were thinking)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 12:03 PM in response to timcos

Will this work?

Yes

No need to put the 2Wire in bridge mode.....I doubt if this is possible anyway.....just turn off the wireless function of the 2Wire if you don't need another wireless network. (Turning the wireless function of the 2Wire off will not place it in bridge mode, if that might what you were thinking)

Apr 21, 2015 12:28 PM in response to timcos

The article tells you how to set up what is known as a DMZ, or as you note "router behind a router" mode. That is not bridge mode.

If you try the "router behind a router" mode, and you really do want to run the AirPort Extreme as a router, you will likely have what is known as a Double NAT issue on the network.

Having done this both ways, my opinion would be that things will be much simpler to run the 2Wire "as is" and turn off the wireless on the 2Wire and then run the AirPort Extreme in Bridge Mode.

The setup utility will automatically configure the AirPort in Bridge Mode when it "sees" another router upstream on the network.

Wireless networking behind an ATT Uverse 2Wire 3800HGV-B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.