Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't charge unless I wiggle the cable to find a right spot. Otherwise phone works well but is out of warranty. Genius bar couldn't diagnosed the problem but told me there's no spare parts available and offer for me to purchase a new phone

iPhone 5 won't charge unless I wiggle the cable to find a right spot. Otherwise phone works well but is out of warranty. Genius bar couldn't diagnosed the problem but suspect contact issue. They then told me there's no spare parts available and offer for me to purchase a new phone at a discounted price. Is this fair seeing that it seems like a faulty part?

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 8:34 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 8:50 AM in response to momsie001

Make sure the port on the iPhone is free of any lint or debris. you can use a can of compressed air to clean it out. Or very carefully with a wooden or plastic toothpick.

It used to happen to me on m iPhone 5 when it would get some lint in there, it would not connect correctly, and had to wiggle it exactly as you describe to get it to charge.

A couple of puffs of air, fixed it right up.

iPhone 5 won't charge unless I wiggle the cable to find a right spot. Otherwise phone works well but is out of warranty. Genius bar couldn't diagnosed the problem but told me there's no spare parts available and offer for me to purchase a new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.