Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proximity sensor works just touching the phone

hi i have a problem with the proximity sensor , when i make a call i have to press the phone against my ear to close the screen.

Any fix for this please ? Im able to open the phone if needed.

Thank you

Danniell

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, Gold 16gb

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 9:17 AM

13 replies

Apr 21, 2015 9:52 AM in response to DanniellIreland

The proximity sensor must be covered in order for the screen to go black. If you lift your finger or move the iPhone away from your ear the screen will come back on. That is by design. That way if you have the iPhone away from your ear you can add another call, press numbers for options on automated menus, or check other content while still talking.

Apr 21, 2015 11:24 AM in response to DanniellIreland

It would have been simpler if you had stated that you wanted to activate it sooner in the original post. You stated you wanted a "fix" which insinuates that there is a problem with the sensor.

At this time there is no way to get the sensor to activate without it being covered. If you would like to see such a feature then you should send feedback to Apple.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 21, 2015 11:43 AM in response to anypats

The proximity sensor should activate before you touch the phone, otherwise that is not 'proximity', it is direct touch!

If you think the sensor is not deactivating the screen early enough try a genius bar appointment, they may be able to tell you if it is abnormal - it does sound less effective than my experiences with multiple iPhones.

If you have Applecare or remaining warranty there may be a replacement offer etc. You will want to backup the device before going - there is a good chance they will ask to reset the device to factory conditions. You could try that yourself if you want to help the process move faster - just test without restoring a backup, then restore the backup.

Apr 21, 2015 12:20 PM in response to DanniellIreland

There are no settings I know of that alter it. It may be re-calibrated by restoring the OS or if you have a screen protector remove it & retest. I would also check that the top of the phone is clean around the earpiece incase dirt is causing the issue. You can normally see the sensor if you look using a bright light. It may be misaligned or just faulty - a genius bar is the simplest way to find out.

You can try the reset too, but I suspect it may not alter anything.

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Proximity sensor works just touching the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.