Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMAC

I have a '07 iMAC with the 10.6.8 version (snow leopard). How can I fix the spinning wheel and freezing problem short of buying a new computer. I was told I can't download any other versions. Thank you!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 2:31 PM

To give you any options we need to know the exact model of iMac you have.

You may also want to run Etrecheck so we may see what may be causing your issues, as well as specifications on your iMac.

Etrecheck is a highly recommended piece of software made by one of the members of the forum here.

Using EtreCheck

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Nancygio

To give you any options we need to know the exact model of iMac you have.

You may also want to run Etrecheck so we may see what may be causing your issues, as well as specifications on your iMac.

Etrecheck is a highly recommended piece of software made by one of the members of the forum here.

Using EtreCheck

Apr 21, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Nancygio

Nancygio,

I also recommend downloading and running an EtreCheck report, once you do post the results in your reply here. We can then look for obvious issues.

Also as a general rule of thumb never upgrade a computer to solve a problem unless you read in the release notes of the upgrade the problem you are attempting to address is handled in the upgrade. The reason for this, is when you upgrade over an existing problem it makes finding the problem cause much more difficult. Finally, your computer is now 8 years old which is pretty elderly for a computer. Depending on your computing needs it may be time to consider a new iMac, just something you may want to consider. If you do you will be getting a system that will be considerably faster and able to handle 2015 software. If you do go down that path there is a process to go through which includes verifying all of your legacy software will run on a newer machine. When you find some software will not (and you likely will find some that do not) see what is required to either update that software or replace it. In short it's a process that requires some thought and commitment.

Apr 21, 2015 2:30 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your quick response. The reason I upgraded was on the recommendation of the Apple store. I wasn't really having the spinning wheel, freeze ball issue but it was (I thought) running slower. After putting snow leopard on in December, I noticed in February I started getting the spinning wheel, freeze ball problem. My computer is a 2 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gb 667 MH3 DDR2 SDRAM. I really don't know what any of this means but the only things I really do is check e-mail and google. I don't download music, videos, movies or streamline. In various communications and visits with Apple the recommendation was that there probably aren't any parts that could upgrade my computer and I should probably think about replacing it. I don't know a lot of the tech mumbo jumbo so my idea was to print out the solution and take it to the Apple store and let them fix it for me. Do you think this is a good idea? I really don't want to invest a $1,000 or more in another computer if I could solve this problem with maybe a couple of hundred. Thanks so much for your help and quick response.

Apr 21, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Nancygio

Problem description:

After installing snow leopard on my iMAC about 2 months later I started getting the spinning wheel and freezing issue.

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 4/21/15 5:40 PM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) (Verified)

iMac - model: iMac7,1

1 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

1 GB RAM

BANK 0/DIMM0

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

Empty

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️

ATI,RadeonHD2400 - VRAM: 128 MB

iMac 1280 x 800

spdisplays_display_connector

System Software: ℹ️

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Time since boot: 0:24:29

Disk Information: ℹ️

ST3250820AS Q disk0 : (232.89 GB)

- (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 243.61 GB (226.80 GB free)

Untitled (disk0s3) /Volumes/Untitled : 6.11 GB (84 MB free)

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple, Inc. Keyboard Hub

Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard

Lexmark 3600-4600 Series

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v2.0

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[not loaded] org.samba.winbindd.plist [Click for support]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.coupons.coupond.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Firefox Application (/Applications/Firefox.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6

Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

CouponPrinter-FireFox_v2: Version: 5.0.7 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 9.5.5 [Click for support]

CouponPrinter-FireFox: Version: Version 1.0.11

MacCouponPrinter3: Version: Unknown

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Move_Media_Player: Version: npmnqmp 071101000050 [Click for support]

Audio Plug-ins: ℹ️

iSightAudio: Version: 7.6.6

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

2% firefox

1% WindowServer

1% fontd

0% DirectoryService

0% usbmuxd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

419 MB firefox

44 MB mds

25 MB WindowServer

23 MB Finder

14 MB mdworker(2)

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

60 MB Free RAM

963 MB Used RAM

25 MB Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Apr 21, 2015, 05:14:46 PM Self test - passed

Apr 21, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Nancygio

The first thing to address is the severe lack of RAM. Your iMac can take up to 6GB but you only have 1Gb. That is barely enough to run OSes prior to Snow Leopard, let alone Snow Leopard itself satisfactorily.

I strongly suggest you upgrade your RAM at least to 4GB if you don't want to spend too much on RAM. In this case it will make a world of difference.

Other than that, there´s no real red flags in the Etrecheck report.

macsales.com and crucial.com are highly recommended sources of RAM. If you want to upgrade your RAM to 4GB, Macsales has a 4Gb kit for $51 dollars.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

iMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.