Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop Safari from opening with multiple tabs?

Every time I open Safari it automatically opens like 15-20 tabs. Ive cleared the history and website data, went into preferences and played around with the tabs menu as well as the general menu but nothing seems to work. I wonder if it has anything to do with some virus from 3rd party website because nothing seems to work. I just purchased this brand new MacBook Pro 2 months ago. Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 8:31 AM

29 replies

Apr 21, 2015 3:44 PM in response to WhoIsWhuteva

WhoIsWhuteva wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I don't have that option in System Preferences > General. I have Yosemite OS.

I think you're looking in the General pane of Safari's preferences. It won't be found there. However, it's definitely there in the General pane of the System Preferences app, even in Yosemite.

However, Safari also has its own preference for this kind of thing. In the General pane of Safari's preferences, see the topmost option:

User uploaded file

Change this option to something other than "All windows from last session". Then quit Safari and re-open it. Do all those tabs still open? If not, you can change it back to "All windows from last session" if you prefer.

Apr 21, 2015 4:28 PM in response to WhoIsWhuteva

In that case, try quitting Safari, then hold down the shift key while re-opening it.

If that doesn’t work, quit Safari again, then navigate to the following folder:

~/Library/Saved Application State/

(If you are not sure how to find this folder, see Locating files from paths.)

Inside that folder, find the folder named com.apple.Safari.savedState. Drag that to the trash.

Next, go to the following folder:

~/Library/Safari/

In that folder, drag the LastSession.plist file to the trash. Now open Safari, and the message should be gone.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Apr 22, 2015 5:56 AM in response to thomas_r.

When I start up computer, and click on Safari, there are around 20 tabs already open. I could have closed all tabs during my last session, but every time I relaunch Safari there are the same 20 tabs already preloaded.

User uploaded file

Ironically, it now seems as if more tabs are preloaded when i turn on Safari. Its like its taking all of the website I favorite or visit and presets it to open when I go to Safari.

Apr 22, 2015 1:00 PM in response to thomas_r.

Interesting! So heres the thing. I shut the computer down as instructed. I then pressed the power button to restart computer. However, the sound that usually plays did not sound. I did it twice to make sure I was correct.

I don't hear the usual Apple sound when I turn the computer on. Although the screen does go through what appears to be the regular start up(loading), the safe boot isn't working. The computer comes on pretty quick as I would expect with a brand new system, but doesn't seem to be recalibrating in Safe boot, if thats the correct word.

How can I stop Safari from opening with multiple tabs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.