Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Pages, modify location of page numbers at some arbitrary point

I am helping someone who is running Pages 5.2 on a MacBook Air, but have no knowledge of Pages.

This person must adopt a format in which the page numbers for the first two page appear in the footer center section and thereafter in the right section of the header. I don't want to interrupt the number sequence, but only where it appears.

In looking around I gather one can go to the Layout Inspector, Section tab, to set an initial number. If so, I could insert a section break and start numbering pages in the new location with the desired start number. Unfortunately, in my Text formatter, Layout tab, there is only ways to define Columns, Tabs and Border & Rules.

MacBook Air, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 10:01 AM

Two sections. First section has two pages. Place a page number in the footer center section of the first page of this section. That solves the page numbering goal for the first two pages.

With your pointer on the first page of the second section, select Document from the right Toolbar. On the resulting document panel, select the Section tab, and uncheck Match previous section. Page numbering, will be selected to continue from previous section to retain the sequence, or you can start at a different format and value for the second section. Now, insert a page number into the header right of the second section. Done.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 10:01 AM in response to HainesBrown

Two sections. First section has two pages. Place a page number in the footer center section of the first page of this section. That solves the page numbering goal for the first two pages.

With your pointer on the first page of the second section, select Document from the right Toolbar. On the resulting document panel, select the Section tab, and uncheck Match previous section. Page numbering, will be selected to continue from previous section to retain the sequence, or you can start at a different format and value for the second section. Now, insert a page number into the header right of the second section. Done.

In Pages, modify location of page numbers at some arbitrary point

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.