Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music App crashes repeatedly on my iPhone 6 Plus

I upgraded the iOS on my iPhone 6 Plus 8.3 a few days ago.

When I tried to use the Music app today it played briefly, but when I hit the forward button to get to the next track it crashed immediately. Now it won't work at all; every time I try to use it, it crashes. The strange thing, however, is that the app still appears to be open on the desktop.

I tried quitting the app, turning the phone off and back on again, but when I opened the app it crashed again immediately, and continues to do so. This app is now totally unusable!

Large numbers of other users seem to be experiencing the same problem.

Apple, please fix this problem urgently!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 9:50 AM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2015 10:31 AM in response to ZZZZZombie

Hi ZZZZZombie,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It seems like the Music app is quitting unexpectedly after you updated to iOS 8.3. I know it can be frustrating to have unexpected behavior after an update.

In this situation, I'd recommend the steps below to reinstall iOS on your iPhone. Although the steps should not erase your device, it's always a good idea to have a current back up before troubleshooting:

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 mintues, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

You can find the steps above with screenshots in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Apr 27, 2015 4:15 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks for the suggestion Jeremy. I went through those steps, but the problem remained.

However, remembering some other users voicing their suspicion that it might be a problem with smart playlists in iTunes, I subsequently tried the following: I made a new playlist and gave it the same name as one of my smart playlists. I then copied all the tracks from the smart playlist into the new playlist with the same name. Next I clicked on the iPhone icon and in Sync Music unchecked all the smart playlists, and instead checked the new playlist and hit Sync. After ejecting the iPhone the Music app seems to be working OK again.

So, a bit inconvenient but a workaround I can live with for the time being.

Music App crashes repeatedly on my iPhone 6 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.