Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleID password not recognized by iCloud on Mac mini

Hi,

I am running a Mac Mini (mid 2011) with the latest OSX (10.10.3).

Recently I was forced to change my AppleID password when I had to manage my AppleID (https://appleid.apple.com/). Forcing the change was a pain, but that's another issue.

I have successfully changed my AppleID password on all my devices except for my Mac Mini. It is connected to the internet (I am writing this post on my Mac mini). I remember my password (to write this post, I had to sign into my AppleID with my password). But iCloud will not take the new password (and I have restarted and retried a dozen times).

When I click on Settings > iCloud, it says to "Enter Your Password to continue using iCloud" and then "Verify the AppleID password for username". I try entering my password, the waiting ball spins, and then nothing. The screen does not change or react in any way, and the "Enter Your Password" message still displays.

I am sure the password is right, because when I put in the wrong password (for example), it actually gives me an "Incorrect password message". I am also able to go to manage my AppleID (https://appleid.apple.com/) and it works every time. In addition, my password works just fine if I sign in and then sign out from iTunes on the same machine.

But it doesn't work for iCloud (or iMessage by the way) on my Mac mini.

Help !!!!!!

Thanks, Pete

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), AppleID

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 1:59 PM

I have since perused some other support topics, an have seen Apple experts say you need to Sign Out and then sign back in in iCloud. Of course, they tell you that everything will be deleted from you Mac, that is also on iCloud. After cringing, closing my eyes and pressing a button... and agreeing to all the warning messages about everything that would be erased from my computer... I completed my Sign Out.

Which by the way wouldn't happen without a restart (I couldn't sign out because some iCloud services were still in use).

Now I proceed to the Sign-in screen and enter my AppleID and password and ..... get this amazing message to say "You can't sign in at this time. Try signing in again." It's over an hour by the way since I have Signed Out.

Who the $%^#$@#$ created iCloud ? Microsoft ? Because this is the type of boneheaded product design that normally goes into that other product, and not Apple products.

In summary, 5 horrible product decisions from Apple that need to be addressed right away:

• Forcing me to change my AppleID in the first place, when I had a password with 8 characters, a mix of letters and digits, and a capital letter
  • That iCloud preferences screen can't handle someone entering in a new AppleID password. It just hangs.
  • That this problem has been around for at least 2 years (look at all the posts) with no resolution
  • That the only workaround is to Sign Out of iCloud - which scares the living $%^#$ out of you with all the warning messages
  • That even when you are able to sign out, then you can't sign back in

I am sure I will live through this, but I would hope that someone from Apple takes some notice, because this is just bad product design. And a pain for loyal users.

Pete

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 1:59 PM in response to pbissegger

I have since perused some other support topics, an have seen Apple experts say you need to Sign Out and then sign back in in iCloud. Of course, they tell you that everything will be deleted from you Mac, that is also on iCloud. After cringing, closing my eyes and pressing a button... and agreeing to all the warning messages about everything that would be erased from my computer... I completed my Sign Out.

Which by the way wouldn't happen without a restart (I couldn't sign out because some iCloud services were still in use).

Now I proceed to the Sign-in screen and enter my AppleID and password and ..... get this amazing message to say "You can't sign in at this time. Try signing in again." It's over an hour by the way since I have Signed Out.

Who the $%^#$@#$ created iCloud ? Microsoft ? Because this is the type of boneheaded product design that normally goes into that other product, and not Apple products.

In summary, 5 horrible product decisions from Apple that need to be addressed right away:

• Forcing me to change my AppleID in the first place, when I had a password with 8 characters, a mix of letters and digits, and a capital letter
  • That iCloud preferences screen can't handle someone entering in a new AppleID password. It just hangs.
  • That this problem has been around for at least 2 years (look at all the posts) with no resolution
  • That the only workaround is to Sign Out of iCloud - which scares the living $%^#$ out of you with all the warning messages
  • That even when you are able to sign out, then you can't sign back in

I am sure I will live through this, but I would hope that someone from Apple takes some notice, because this is just bad product design. And a pain for loyal users.

Pete

AppleID password not recognized by iCloud on Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.