Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login password loop

G'day!

On login I enter my password and am returned to the same page. No way of getting round this so far. I have two admin accounts and both behave the same. I have tried command r, option r, command s to create a new account and that does the same thing. So I'm caught in a loop and cannot get passed this. I have just installed a new SSD after a hard drive crash and had everything reloaded on the new hard drive. Thought I was being sensible updating the OS. Wrong. Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

VIN PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5 GHz), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 10:39 AM

Were you using TRIM on the SSD when you upgraded?

7 replies

Apr 21, 2015 10:27 AM in response to imagevisionary

You could try logging in with your Apple ID password. I don't know anything about FileVault, but is it enabled?

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if it will start that way.

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM. Not sure what computer model you have:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Boot into command R and open disk utility. Repair global permissions. Verify the drive is OK. Repair if necessary. Set the startup disk in the startup disk manager.

You could try to apply the Combo Update on top of the OS:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update

Apr 21, 2015 10:46 AM in response to imagevisionary

It may be that your were having issues before upgrading that needed fixing. The update may have made those issues worse.

You may also have had 3rd party apps or extension not compatible with the upgrade.

It also could be 3rd party apps causing the problem. Safe mode does some repairs when you boot into it and also disables 3rd party start up items. Disable any 3rd party items and try to start in a regular boot. Then check compatibility with those apps.

Login password loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.