Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't format SSD to GUID Partition Scheme

I can't format my SSD to GUID Partition Scheme with Mac OS Extended(Journaled) but Master Boot works fine. When i try, it stucks even i tried Recovery HD. You can see issue in picture. What should i do?

MBP Mid 2012 OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

SSD is Samsung SSD 840 EVOUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 9:28 AM

11 replies

Jun 13, 2017 1:57 PM in response to dinhdinh02

Wow, the thread resuscitated!

OK, MBR. What do you want to use the drive for? If you want to install some version of MacOS and/or clone an existing bootable MacOS drive and boot from it, needs to be in GUID/Apple Extended format. Else if you want to be able to exchange files from Windows and Macs, it will need to be in MBR and either FAT32 or ExFAT format. Cannot use Windows' MBR/NTFS cause Macs can't deal with it.

Once you have selected a partitioning scheme, the Options... button will be enabled and there you will be able to choose the partition/format scheme.

Note that in recent MacOS versions (ElCap, Sierra, etc.) the Disk Utility window is very different and behavior is quite wackier.

Apr 22, 2015 8:32 AM in response to c_arslan

c_arslan wrote:

Toshiba is the current boot drive. I can't use the SSD because of the format of it. So there is SSD inside without format, filesystem etc.

In that case, since the SSD likely came with an MBR Partition Map, at the beginning of your format process, did you choose the Partition button, pull down the drop-down menu under Partition Layout, and choose 1 Partition, and then, using the Options button at the bottom, select GUID?

Can't format SSD to GUID Partition Scheme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.