Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay drops frequently

Appletv airplay was solid earlier, but lately after different version upgrades, its quality has got down. I cannot airplay any content from ipad steady, via airplay on apple tv. I am seeing the whole intent of airplay is getting defeated. All i can use appletv now, is to watch netflix and watch you tube videos directly from apple tv but airplay contents are not playing steady. Not sure why apple folks upgrade something and screw up the properly working functionality. Very frustrated!,

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 12:36 PM

12 replies

Apr 22, 2015 12:39 AM in response to vazandrew

I Have the same problem, and if the answer is hooking up a wire to something I just bought that is sold as wireless.. I am not happy. its getting worse too because I can't even use Hulu or rent movies/TV from the iTunes store because Hulu stops to load every two minutes and the download wait times for rentals reach up to as high as a day! Yet my Roku,phone and computer work just fine and utilize my high speed internet.

I am so frustrated and I cannot seem to get help or reasonable answers from the store I purchased it from or Apple.

Ive even got the Apple TV set to standard def. And I just did a test on my phone and I'm over 16m download.

can anyone suggest anything better than plugging it in? I would really appreciate it.

Apr 24, 2015 8:46 AM in response to vazandrew

My wireless is rock solid. I have been connecting at least 6 to 7 devices same time, all other devices work fine. Indeed gave some thought, about bandwidth issues, so i tried connecting Apple tv alone and tried streaming, after a while (~ 20 mins) run into same problem "Error Loading Content". It is purely a problem with Apple tv software version. It never happens in the earlier versions. Also tried re positioning apple tv to a isolated spot, but no luck.

Apr 26, 2015 6:12 AM in response to Community User

Agree. Same frustrating problem here. Withheld from "upgrading" to the rumored disaster of 8.0+ until oa new phone automatically upgraded during setup last week, so I put all devices on same 8.3 version. Worst decision ever!! Streaming Amazon Prime through ipad, via Airplay, to AppleTV worked flawlessly prior to the upgrade and now Airplay drops repeatedly within seconds. Now, after trying Apple's standard fixes on the website, the Airplay option isn't even visible on the ipad! I can stream wirelessly to my ipad and my network connection is rock solid so I don't want to hear that excuse. This is a known problem with the recent upgrades as I found out on various blogs and articles after wasting time and effort on the Apple site -- haven't seen any acknowledgment of issues or resolutions here! C'mon Apple, fix this!

Apr 27, 2015 10:04 AM in response to vazandrew

When there comes a version upgrade, everyone will face this issue for sure. There is an oversight from Apple on the Apple tv latest software version. If this persists, i will move to other options soon. It is really a pain.

Apr 28, 2015 5:13 AM in response to vazandrew

If I was going to wire anything, wired the laptop directly to the tv and streamed 3rd party video perfectly.....defeating the point of wirelessly using Airplay and Apple TV. Bypassing altogether was the easy fix. This inconvenience, amongst other time sucking "i" issues have started my migration away from Apple.

Done with this thread too, but first Vazandrew, I was originally responding to Aru_roark74 to agree that I was having a similar problem. Because it works for you it works for most. ?? Pc mags and tech writers at other publications via a simple browser search acknowledge a widespread issue. Regardless, the "select group" with the issue (caused by the upgrade) want a solution. NOT a network issue.....for me anyway. Adios.

Apr 28, 2015 7:25 AM in response to kmm1608

No one has acknowledged a widespread issue, it is not just working for me but rather for most. This forum alone would otherwise be flooded with reports. I have also dealt with these issues from other users on past updates and its been rectified by isolating the problem within the network. If you were to have a wired connection and it worked then of course that shows that the issue lies with the wireless network. If you tested on another (controlled) network it would also work fine. The issue is network related, but it's always easier to blame the product

Apr 30, 2015 1:35 AM in response to Community User

Same issues for me. Apple TV is on a wired ethernet connection, others are wireless. Router is in the same room less than 5 metres away. I had no issues at all until updates to iOS 8. Reading the specs on the update, it seems to me that airplay is using higher bit rates for audio and video since the update, which 'may' cause network issues. On a wireless or wired lan there should be more than plenty of bandwidth overhead to cope with streaming a 192kbps MP3!

Everytime I first try to connect to it from my iPhone, it crashes the native music app causing me to have to restart the playlist on the app. I have no idea why or how it can cause that, but it does... every time on my first try.

I love Apple products but so far the Apple TV has been the biggest waste of money - I can't stream music reliably and video streaming is so bad I just resort to plugging the laptop in to the HDMI anyway. Hugely disappointed with it.

I must have some interference or something coming from somewhere, I don't know but I'm gonna try to the network tools to find out - trouble is that it's intermittent...

AirPlay drops frequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.