Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 mbp internal display only works in boot camp and not mac os

okay so I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. it's currently running mavericks, however when I turn on the computer maverick boots up but does not display anything not even a cursor however far to hook it up 20 external display it'll show up just fine. so I took the next step and reset the SMC and P RAM, still Michaelis boots up just fine however nothing shows up on the internal display but once I hook it up to an external display everything displays just fine. now the weird part is I went ahead and installed Windows 8.1 through boot camp and throughout the entire installation process the internal display worked without an issue as well as the external display,so after the installation of Windows 8 the internal display continue to work flawlessly while booted into Windows however when I reboot into Mac OS the same issue appears, I am able to change the keyboard brightness screen brightness and hear Mac os in the background however there is no cursor and a black display.another thing that I have noticed is that when I first power on my macbook the internal display does not show the Apple logo with a spinning wheel nor does it display the hard drive selection when I hold down the option key, I am only able to see the initial startup screen and OS selection screen while hooked up to an external monitor. I have disassemble the unit and cleaned all connectors and reseated all the cables as well as a PMU just for good measure and still nothing has anybody else run into this issue.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 1:17 PM

5 replies

Apr 21, 2015 1:24 PM in response to rawteq

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Apr 21, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the quick reply, I have already tried the following as I reformatted and re installed Mavericks onto a clean drive. The issue still persists and only does the internal display work in Windows and every other OS ( used a live Ubuntu image and it worked without issue ). Reset SMC, PRAM/NVRAM, PMU and everything else I can think of. The one thing that boggles me is when I first turn on my Mac I hear the start up chime but the screen does not come on (not even the back light). When I hold Option to select the recovery drive screen is still black unless I hook up an external monitor, then i am able to select the recovery drive or anything else. However If I blindly select the windows partition by pressing the right arrow key, The internal display kicks in and windows loads ( without an external monitor) all from the Internal display (which is how I'm writing this now ). I doubt its a bad LCD, Cable or logic board as windows looks fine and so does Mac OS ( when connected to an external display ). Open to anything at this point, I feel that this may be an issue with the firmware/EFI as when it's emulating a PC BIOS things work fine but when using Mac OS's display manager, Nada.

Apr 21, 2015 2:02 PM in response to rawteq

I found this several weeks back. It's not mine:

I had the same issue with my 2008 iMac and Apple support walked me through the fix yesterday...

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

2011 mbp internal display only works in boot camp and not mac os

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.