Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get iPhoto OR Photo to open on my iMac. They both work on my MacBook Air.

I tried loading them from the MacBook Air on a thumb drive and installing them on the iMac, bit it won't work. I get a problem message apparently referring to the lack of a library. But, the pics were on the app when I loaded it. I can't get a screen asking me to choose a library and it won't prepare or load a library. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks!!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.3, Photo and iPhoto won't open.

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 12:38 PM

9 replies

Apr 22, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks very much O.T. Yes, you are right, that is the version I have and yes, it did load automatically, but just won't open. I'm wondering if its because I tried to use iCloud and then cancelled iCloud out and if I wait the days the message said when I cancelled iCloud, if it will open back up and load properly. We'll see. Strange things happen in cyberspace! Thanks again!

Apr 22, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Old Toad

Good Morning, O.T.

I get a Problem Report that says "iPhoto cannot be opened because of a Problem." Then further down it says "Library Not Loaded" and then, "Reason: Image not found."

Similarly, when I try to run Photo, it says "Welcome", "Get Started", "Preparing Library" but NEVER comes up with anything - i.e., another scree - beyond that. It's stuck at 3% and never finishes preparing a library.

5TM

Apr 22, 2015 2:08 PM in response to 5Toneman

Nothing happens when I try to boot up using the command+R keys.

Did you hold down those keys before booting and continue till you get to a selections window? You should get this:User uploaded file

If you can't boot into the Recovery volume make an appointment with the nearest Apple Genius bar for a diagnosis. You're still under warranty.

Apr 22, 2015 7:36 PM in response to Old Toad

Yes, O.T., I bought it new about six months ago.

In the earlier post I miss-spoke. What I meant to say was nothing happened when I held down command + R so I never even got to booting. BUT! Understanding what you were asking me to do I read other posts and shut the computer down, held down the option key and restarted it. Got to the OS X Utility folder you gave me the picture of and re-booted. Took about 7.5 hours, but it re-installed and VIOLA!!! Both iPhoto and Photo are now working on this iMac! I cannot thank you enough!!! Were you closer I'd buy you a drink . Instead, tomorrow evening I will do a Rain Dance in hopes of bring all of you Californians some rain!! Thank you so very, very much!

I can't get iPhoto OR Photo to open on my iMac. They both work on my MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.