Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot download tapes made on a Sony DCR-TRV460 into iMovie because Apple no longer supports this camera. Can anyone suggest a work-around?

I have an old Sony DCR-TRV460 Hi 8 Camcorder. I have an iMac 27" running V. 10.10.X. I couldn't download the videos I have taken because Apple no longer supports transfer of tapes made by this camera. Can anyone suggest a work around? I have ordered the hardware to convert the jacks on the camcorder to Thunderbolt. When I play the tapes I get the video on iMovie after clicking 'import', but a dialog box tells me nothing was imported after the tape has played. I have tried several different connectors, but iMovie will only accept the Thunderbolt port for the connector.

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 7:53 AM

What you need is iMovie HD 06. (Many consider this the best iMovie ever made.)

With iMovie HD 06 you can import your movies using a FireWire cable. Then, it is easy to share your edited movie with iDVD and make DVDs playable on any DVD player. iMovie HD 06 is readily available on Amazon as part of iLife 06. Bear in mind, it will cost about twice the price of the current version of iMovie, but worth every penny.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 7:53 AM in response to raybou

What you need is iMovie HD 06. (Many consider this the best iMovie ever made.)

With iMovie HD 06 you can import your movies using a FireWire cable. Then, it is easy to share your edited movie with iDVD and make DVDs playable on any DVD player. iMovie HD 06 is readily available on Amazon as part of iLife 06. Bear in mind, it will cost about twice the price of the current version of iMovie, but worth every penny.

Apr 22, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Ziatron

Thanks Ziatron for sending the information. I too like some of the older versions of iMovie and found them far easier to manipulate and produce a final product. It seems that Apple has gotten into hiding the really cool stuff behind other things. You have to know the exact order to select items and then how to find the hidden jewels. I will order the older version and install it. Thanks again, I wasn't sure what version was the best.

I cannot download tapes made on a Sony DCR-TRV460 into iMovie because Apple no longer supports this camera. Can anyone suggest a work-around?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.