Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV and Airplay

I am having major issues with Airplay and Apple TV. Over a week ago it was all working fine and I haven't touched anything since!! Then I tried to watch a film and nothing!! There is no Airplay symbol on any of my devices. I have read various discussions on here and tried things that have helped others but nothing is working!!

I have rebooted all my devices! I have Reset my Apple TV, recycled the Airplay and Wireless connection!! I have updated everything and turned off the bluetooth of everything that I don't want to connect with. Absolutely nothing is working!! All I wanted to do was watch a film and relax and an hour later I have achieved nothing.

Out of all the discussions that I have seen on here, I am seeing a lack of Apple Support input and I really hope that somebody from Apple sees this because truth be told I am exhausted with wasting my time trying to get something to work every time I want to use it when it should simply just work!! What a waste of money both on the Apple TV and the hundreds of pounds spend on buying digital film downloads through iTunes and now only being able to watch them on a computer!....And thats assuming I have the internet whenever I move.....and I move a lot!! But so long as apple are happy taking my money and providing less than adequate equipment then thats all that matters I suppose!!

If anybody can offer any advice on trying to get Airplay working beyond what I have tried already then I would really appreciate it? Thanks

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 1:12 PM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 1:18 PM in response to Storm0573

Storm0573 - I understand your frustration. Please keep in mind that this is an Apple User Forum. Apple personnel rarely, if ever, make themselves known around here.

Please give us a bit more information about your devices. You have told us you have an iPad 2 WiFi with iOS 5.1. What version of Apple TV do you have? Which version of its software? What other devices are you using? What are their iOS versions?

Apr 21, 2015 1:37 PM in response to OldGnome

Please ignore that 'iPad' info. I got so frustrated with navigating around this site, searching through the forums and trying to fix the problem at this end that I just clicked next, next, next.

So, I have an Apple TV 2 and it is fully updated to the latest software version 7.2(7512). I am trying to watch films from my iMac (which worked fine a week ago) and it has OS Yosemite Version 10.10.3. My iTunes is updated to Version 12.1.2.27. As I said in my first post, I have restarted everything from iMac to iTunes to Apple TV and I have even reset Apple TV.

When I navigate my Apple TV and go to 'Computers' it just tells me to turn on Home Sharing on my Computer! Home Sharing is on and everything is connected to the same router and with the same login details. I have even recycled Home Sharing. There is no Airplay symbol on my iMac anywhere. Not even for Mirroring. I have recycled Airplay on the Apple TV too.

I also have an iPad 3 Mini updated to IOS 8.3 and an iPhone updated to iOS 8.3. My iPad has no Airplay symbol anywhere. Either when I try to view a photo, a movie or swipe up from the bottom of the screen where it is normally next to Air drop. Now my iPhone does have an Airplay symbol if I view a photo but it is very slow and laboured....correction, it did have the Airplay symbol but I have just checked this second and now it has gone. When it was there it was only if I went through the options within the photo and again if I swiped up from the home page then nothing.

I have tried everything that I have tried in the past and nothing seems to be working. Since the last time I used it and watched a film I have not touched it or updated anything so I have no idea what has gone wrong.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

Apr 21, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Storm0573

I'm gad to hear that it started working again. If you ever hit the same spot in the future, try the following --

1. Shut everything down, including your router.

2. Reboot everything, starting with the router. Don't turn anything else on until the router is fully rebooted.

3. Start up each of your devices one at a time. Don't move on to the next device until the previous device has already found the network.

Good luck!

Apple TV and Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.