Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID email problems

Hi community,

I've stumbled upon a problem with Apple ID emails, that I hope you help me solve.

I've been using the same email address (let's call it a@a.a) since I started using Apple ID years ago. At some point along the way, I added a rescue email address (let's call it b@b.b (it's a gmail)). I had no problems adding it and it was verified.

After some consideration, I wanted to scrap a@a.a as my primary address and start to use b@b.b. I have changed it in various sites and services and now I want to change it for my apple ID.

I found out that I couldn't change the primary email yet because it was listed as the rescue email. So I managed to change the rescue email to c@c.c. No worries there.

Here comes my problem.

When I try to change the primary email, it states it cannot be done because it could already be in use. I am puzzled because I haven't used it for Apple ID before.

I then went to reset password for b@b.b and I managed login to My Apple ID. There I noticed a different name than mine, so I thought that perhaps someone managed to use it somehow.

Here's my question:

How do I change it so my primary email is b@b.b? I mean, it is clear that it is not being used for anything and it feels stupid that a@a.a is ONLY used for this service. Also, I want to cancel the email at the ISP, but I can't if I can't change it in Apple ID.

Any help is appreciated! 🙂

/Mikael

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 12:57 PM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Mikaels11

Hi Thank your for contacting Apple support

so you have a primary Apple id email that you would like to change to a gmail email,

Change your Apple ID - Apple Suppor

You can

change your primary apple id email by visiting appleid.apple.com

its important before you edit or rename an apple id , that you sign out of settings on your phone

* sign out of itunes & app store-> * sign out of icloud -> if you are using your apple id for Facebook & imessage you will also need to sign out with the Apple id , If you have you more than 1 device you will need to do the above on all of them,

if you edit your id email before doing the above, your devices will still be linked to your old ape id

if someone else is using your gmail address as an apple id without your knowledge , you can call applecare support & we can notify the user that they are using an email that is not theirs for use

Apr 21, 2015 1:21 PM in response to bob1203

Hi Bob1203,

Thanks for the reply.

I have done most of the preliminary work in signing out of devices etc, but the problem is that when I enter the new address in appleid.apple.com, it says it is in use.

Also, the email I'm entering is mine but somehow registered without my knowledge.

Is calling Apple Support the only way forward?

Apr 21, 2015 11:38 PM in response to Mikaels11

Hi again ,

as you stated when you went to rename your apple id , you got a message that this was already in use,

if its the case that someone else is using your email as an apple id , then the best thing would be to contact apple support or iTunes support,

they can notify the person using the email , and inform them that they don't have your permission

its the best work around

Apple ID email problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.