Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keep getting a popup asking to enter my Facebook password into system preferences

I have IOS 10.10.3 and keep getting a popup on Safari asking me to enter my password for Facebook into system preferences, anybody else have this problem?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), IOS 10.10.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 2:01 PM

13 replies

Nov 19, 2017 3:16 PM in response to candacefrombandon

It still happens. I find that if I’m in an article that I want to post to fb, I don’t click on the fb symbol in the article, instead I go to the tray at the bottom & click on the up arrow then click on the fb icon and post....no need to enter my password.

I have iPhone 8 and the recent updates...suck! Usually I don’t mind all the changes but this time I don’t care for most of them.

Apr 22, 2015 12:46 PM in response to camillefromlahaina

Hi,

It is Mac OS X (10.10.3) for computers (Macs) iOS is for iPhones and iPads and some iPod Touches.

Are you just logging into to Facebook in Safari or are you using System Preferences to login to your Facebook Account for other reasons ?

I don't use Facebook and don't know any benefits if there are any of using the System Preferences > Internet accounts

User uploaded file

8:46 pm Wednesday; April 22, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 22, 2015 9:00 PM in response to camillefromlahaina

Hi Camille -

I trust I don't muddy the waters too much, but I have basically the same setup as you do, and two days ago my FB account, got highjacked or whatever. So, having not changed my password in a long while I did that first in FB. I did some other stuff that FB guided me through, including (and this may be where you & I differ) having a 2nd level of FB security, where they - FaceBook - send a code to my iPhone every time i access FB from a different machine (I have six Apple 'puters) OR - from a different access point, i.e. wireless coffee shop etc.

After all this, I was still getting the pop-up as you described. The pop-up took me to System Preferences where I tried to manually input my newly created password. No joy. Today, I went back to Syst Prefs and using the FB Confirmation Code in my iPone Message (seems to be a semi-permanent code). I typed the Confirmation Code into the Password space, and wa-la, no more pop-ups.

I apologize if I've gone to the moon and back, but that's what - eventually - worked for me. Good luck.

Kimball

Apr 24, 2015 1:35 AM in response to camillefromlahaina

FaceBook actually has some tools that worked for me (a guy by the way).

The icon with the lock on it, just to the right of Notifications, gets you going. Click on the icon, and you get "Privacy Shortcuts." Down at the bottom of the list, click on "See More Settings." Now, the list on the left, 2nd item down, is "Security." Click that, and the central list has "Logon Approvals."

Follow those instructions to get FB to send the Confirmation Code to your cell phone. Remember, I changed my password (listed under "duh") and then did the procedure I mentioned above.

Good luck.

Kimball

keep getting a popup asking to enter my Facebook password into system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.