Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari blocked by Apple alert pop up. Virus?

on safari security alert popped up applealert.com major cause for concern told me to call a number. A guy answered and said he needed to get into my system to see the issue. I didn't trust it as at 10pm apple support is closed. What do I do? Do I have a virus? I managed to get rid of the notice by disabled JavaScript but I'm worried my computer has been hacked into

any advice is appreciated

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:25 PM

You were the victim of an attempted SCAM. First you should not have called that number at all, but since you did, I assume that you did not allow the individual to get in your Mac. If that is the case, you should be OK. It is not a virus that you encountered.

If you are really nervous, you can always erase the HDD, reinstall the OSX and then restore your personal data from your backup.

Ciao.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Nicola2093

You were the victim of an attempted SCAM. First you should not have called that number at all, but since you did, I assume that you did not allow the individual to get in your Mac. If that is the case, you should be OK. It is not a virus that you encountered.

If you are really nervous, you can always erase the HDD, reinstall the OSX and then restore your personal data from your backup.

Ciao.

Safari blocked by Apple alert pop up. Virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.