Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Not Working After Updating to OS 10.10.3

I have updated to the latest version of the OS and my legitimate copy of Aperture has been inoperable since the update. Apple has sent an email to everyone with a registered copy of Aperture stating that it still will work after the update but that is not the case. I feel lied to and I have about 200,000 photos across 7 Aperture libraries and this new "Photos" app lacks the professional tools that I need. I was going to transition to other options but I didn't feel the need to right away since they said it would be fine.

Is there some update patch I am missing? I would like to think they didn't abandon the few of us that use it and love the program for what it was. (See images below.)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aperture 3, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:07 PM

What is your current Aperture version?

Shortly before the Mac OS X 10.10.3 update, Apple released the compatibility update to Aperture 3.6., that you need to install.

If your current Aperture version is Aperture 3.5.1,Aperture should be showing at the AppStore on your Purchases tab. If you are seeing Aperture there, move your crossed out Aperture application from the Applications folder to the Trash (but do not empty the Trash).

Then try to download and install Aperture from the Purchases tab of the AppStore.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 6:07 PM in response to RPTR

What is your current Aperture version?

Shortly before the Mac OS X 10.10.3 update, Apple released the compatibility update to Aperture 3.6., that you need to install.

If your current Aperture version is Aperture 3.5.1,Aperture should be showing at the AppStore on your Purchases tab. If you are seeing Aperture there, move your crossed out Aperture application from the Applications folder to the Trash (but do not empty the Trash).

Then try to download and install Aperture from the Purchases tab of the AppStore.

Apr 26, 2015 7:06 PM in response to RPTR

I had same errors as OP, mine was bought via App Store, I just hadn't updated Aperture recently (since all the updates seemed related to Yosemite). I upgraded to Yosemite and suddenly Aperture wouldn't launch, and wouldn't upgrade. But doing as léonie suggested worked: move Aperture from Applications to Trash, then go back to App Store and select Install.

May 15, 2015 7:12 AM in response to Jolo1

I had the same problem.

I was running the latest possible version of Aperture on Mavericks on my iMac and resisted upgrading my OS X.

I knew there was an update released to allow aperture to run on Yosemite but because I was still running Mavericks this update wasn't available to me on the app store updates.

My worry was, when Apple released the new Photo app and discontinued aperture and iPhoto, would the update be available to me when I upgraded to Yosemite..?

Tonight I decided finally to update to Yosemite. The first thing I did (apart from sorting out Yosemite's install problems, but that's another story!) was to go to the app store to look at the updates. I was hoping there would be one for Aperture... Nothing and my aperture icon had a circle and diagonal line through it.

I read on the forums which provided the same advice as Jolo1.

• I moved the Aperture app from my applications folder to the trash bin. I didn't empty it.
  • I then opened the app store application
  • Clicked on purchases tab.
  • There it was, aperture, ready for me with a "download" button on the right side of the page.
  • I downloaded the aperture app and ran it.
  • It did a quick update of the library, and so far all's going well.

For some reason, the updates section of the App Store app doesn't recognise or like the pre existing version of Aperture. When it thinks it's missing, it will offer you a new improved version to run with Yosemite!

Jun 3, 2015 1:13 PM in response to sbraunsky11

Since I can't get to Aperture I don't know which version I was running.

The Aperture library should show the version:

Select the Aperture Library in the Finder and press the key combination ⌘I for File > Get Info.

User uploaded file

Well, I just tried this and there is nothing in my purchases for Aperture.

Have you tried to unhide your Purchases?

See: Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support

Any ideas on what to do next? I'm sick about possibly losing my images....

The Photos.app will be able to open your Aperture Library and to convert it to a Photos Library, so you can browse, edit, or export your Photos, if all fails.

Jun 4, 2015 7:59 AM in response to léonie

Thanks so much leonie for your help! I tried what you said looking in the finder, and the ONLY information that is missing is the 'version'. Everything else looks just like the image you posted.... 😟 Then I tried to unhide my purchases, and when I went to that and it only listed one thing...and it wasn't what I needed. I checked to see what devices it listed I have, and it didn't even list my desktop there...so I just added it. It had all 7 other devices I have but that one.

The next thing I am going to do is try to convert the library. Do you if it will double the space on my hard drive, or just connect them so I can view them? I wouldn't have enough space if it were to duplicate the images since I have 285 GB worth of images... I'm a photographer.... 🙂 I have 2 external hard drives but not enough on either of them to store that amount. Sorry, I don't understand all the technical stuff about how it works....

Jun 4, 2015 8:21 AM in response to sbraunsky11

The next thing I am going to do is try to convert the library. Do you if it will double the space on my hard drive, or just connect them so I can view them? I wouldn't have enough space if it were to duplicate the images since I have 285 GB worth of images... I'm a photographer....

You will need some extra space, perhaps one fourth of the size of your library. Photos will create hard links to the original image files, so the originals will be shared, but you will need extra space for previews and thumbnails.

See these documents:

Jun 9, 2015 2:11 AM in response to léonie

Hi there -

I have the same problem as RPTR - except that it says that its not available in the South African Store.

I'm on version 3.5.1.

Bought Aperture so long ago that it came in a box! So when I updated to which ever operating system it was in 2013 - had separate correspondence with Apple support to get a new serial number for Aperture to re-install it. So not able to do as Leonie suggests - as not reflected in my purchases.

I can find updates for Aperture versions up to 3.4 on the apple site. Tried downloading that but get a message to say that a newer version of Aperture is already installed.

Have searched everywhere and cannot find the update to Aperture 3.6. Does anyone have a link for a 3.5 update or 3.6?

Many thanks

Jun 9, 2015 6:05 AM in response to robyn anne

robyn anne,

great, you got Aperture back.

For the benefit of others in the same situation - the update to Aperture 3.5.1 associated your boxed retail version of Aperture with the App Store. Otherwise you could never have installed the Aperture 3.5.1 update. If you ever updated to aperture 3.5.1 you have an App Store version. Sign into the App Store with the Apple ID you used at the time you last updated Aperture and open the Purchases tab. If you do not see Aperture, unhide it as described here: Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support

Check now, if Aperture is there at the AppStore Purchases tab. Just in case you ever need to reinstall. 🙂

Aperture Not Working After Updating to OS 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.