Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about how Aperture and iPhoto store their data

I have the latest version of aperture, (3.6) with OS 10.10.2.

I sometimes want to use iPhoto as well. I have iPhoto, latest version, (9.6.1) but I have never opened it. When I tried to open it for the first time I was advised I had to run some kind of a program to organize my photos prior to upgrading iPhoto.

iPhoto '11 or later: About the Library Upgrader - Apple Support

Here's where I am confused, if I am running the latest version of Aperture aren't my photos already organized to the most recent standard? I am afraid that by running this program to utilize the latest version of iPhoto I might somehow harm the photo database for use with Aperture.

Comments appreciated.

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:40 PM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Niel

By default, all of the images will be within the packages; there will be two copies of each photo. If you're using a referenced library, there may only be one depending on how they're set up; moving the files manually may cause problems with one or both libraries.

Thanks Neil, I have never done anything to set up a "referenced library" the images are wherever Apple has put them. I will back up my hard drive and then run the software referenced in Apple's link above.

Question about how Aperture and iPhoto store their data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.