Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update beyond 10.6.2, software updater does nothing

I have two interrelated problems here.

(1) I cannot manually update my 10.6.2 (I tried the regular and the combo version too). I get the message: Mac OS X Updated Combined can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

Here are my specs:

• iMac 2009
  • Intel Core 2 Duo
  • System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C2234)
  • HDL 500GB, 450 available.

(2) Problem two, I cannot do this via the software updater. When I start this process, it says that my available software updates are:

1. Remote Desktop Client Update
  2. iTunes (always)
  3. Mac OX X Update Combined

I click to install all three and then nothing happens. There is no flurry of activity in the activity monitor. Nothing. What gives?

How can I get my OS updated? I feel like I am missing something very dumb. Thank you in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 1:45 PM

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer.

Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.

Select your language.

Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.

Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.

Click Repair Disk.

Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop-http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963 and restart your computer.

User uploaded file

Try to update your computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 1:45 PM in response to lemurific

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer.

Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.

Select your language.

Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.

Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.

Click Repair Disk.

Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop-http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963 and restart your computer.

User uploaded file

Try to update your computer.

Apr 22, 2015 7:40 AM in response to lemurific

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Try a restart.

Cannot update beyond 10.6.2, software updater does nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.