Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 only charges when off and "this accessory may not be supported"?

This happened to me a while back and I didn't want to do anything until now. When I plugged in my iPhone 6 one night, it said "this accessory may not be supported". I got nervous and scared at first because I was on 10% and I couldn't charge my phone. I tried almost everything I could find the internet and it still doesn't work. I gave up and I turned it off (still plugged) and I went to bed. I woke up, turned on my phone, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my phone was at 100%. It still said "this accessory may not be supported" whenever I plugged in my charger. My phone can't be read by a computer because of this, so it's a problem. It's also an inconvenience generally...anyone know how I can fix this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:01 PM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:11 PM in response to raphfromnj

Have you tried a different lightning cable and a different USB adapter? Although if it isn't recognized by your computer, it probably isn't the adapter. After the cable as a possible issue, the next most likely prospect is dirt in the connector on the phone interfering with a solid connection. Inspect it with a bright light and magnifying glass, and clean it with a toothpick.

Apr 22, 2015 6:41 AM in response to raphfromnj

Yes, a toothpick is safe. Air may not get everything out; it may drive it further in. What you are looking for is something at the bottom of the connector that might prevent the tip of the plug from seating properly or that may prevent 1 or more contacts from connecting. If the problem continues take the phone to an Apple store; it is still in warranty.

iPhone 6 only charges when off and "this accessory may not be supported"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.