Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High CPU Temp Retina Macbook Pro 13 Early 2015

It seems my new early 2015 rMBP 13" is running a bit hot. It's the i5-5287U model. Trying to see if my operation is normal. Using Temperature Gauge v 4.1 downloaded from the Mac App Store to...gauge...temperature. Anyway, it's running at around 54 celsius from a cold boot and after very minor usage. No fans have kicked in.

I've also tested it during gaming in bootcamp using Speccy, and have seen temps up to 108 Celsius and idle temps around 50 to 60.

Anyone else have issues? How is your early 2015 rMBP 13 running? What're your idle and load temps? Do you use a temp measurement program which is updated to support early 2015 MacBooks?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2017 10:58 AM

I know its been a while since this was posted. Sorry to revive such an old thread. But I am very curious what happened here. What was the outcome or solution?

I am in the same boat with a 2013 15" 2.7/16gb/500gb rMBP.

Thanks

10 replies

Apr 21, 2015 4:32 PM in response to fjigsdslijgsdlkj

The temperatures that are shown on your display are a touch on the high side but not alarmingly so. There could be a number of factors involved,such as ambient temperature, air circulation, the type and number of applications in use.

What does bother me is the 108°c temperature you report while playing a game. That would prompt me to have that MBP checked out at an Apple store genius bar. The evaluation will be FREE.

Ciao.

Apr 22, 2015 2:45 AM in response to fjigsdslijgsdlkj

The temperature may depend upon the applications and processes that you are using. Games, videos consume the CPU resources and get the Macbook pro hot whereas simple Internet browsing and simple applications will not. Check Activity Monitor to determine which applications are the culprits.

Click Activity Monitor, this will list all the software processes running, look at the % CPU, which has the biggest number running. Try to quit or stop that process or processes.

If this does not have, contact Apple Support.

Jun 21, 2015 2:54 AM in response to fjigsdslijgsdlkj

Here is my story with my 2015 rMBP 13 inch (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA):

I bought it recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) and soon noticed a clicking noise from the fan. The best I can describe it is that it emitted a sound similar to old home movie cameras (fast tick-tick-tick sound). The reason I knew it was the fan is because it was louder on the right side (this laptop only has one fan on the right side) and when I put the computer to sleep the ticking noise would decrease slowly until it stops.

I took it to the Genius bar and they told me that while they were inspecting the fan, it died on them! It would not even re-start at all. They were glad I brought in because otherwise the MacBook could have been damaged from excessive heat and I would not have noticed that the fan is not running. They ordered a new fan kit and confirmed that it is now working as designed.

Having this experience, I purchased TG Pro to keep an eye on the temperatures. The MacBook runs hot (idles at about 50C). When I startup the MacBook, it can go up to 105C because of nothing more than Dropbox or the Contacts app syncing! No gaming or otherwise. The fan does kick in, but it is really strange that when you simply start the MacBook to hear the fan going full bast trying to cool the laptop down when you have not even started doing anything.

I am thinking of bringing it back to the Apple Store for further diagnostics, but I can imagine they will tell me this is all normal and it is working as designed.

It could be that Dropbox and Contacts are buggy and needlessly stress the CPU. I will disable Dropbox and do more testing.

Any ideas or advice would be highly appreciated.

Jul 30, 2015 7:00 PM in response to Wassim Jabi

Hmm, yeah I might suspect dropbox. I just loaded up Contacts and I'm running at a pretty cool 40c. I think these CPUs do tend to run hot as compared to earlier generations from what I can tell. Spotlight (apple file indexing service) will sometimes run in the background and kick it up to maybe 80c or so. Random things seem to kick it into that area. I usually only see 100c sustained when I'm running a game or sometimes at startup it will run hot for a minute or so.

As a side note, mine started smelling like burning plastic after gaming for a while in bootcamp. That ever happen to you?

High CPU Temp Retina Macbook Pro 13 Early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.