Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make changes to birthdays in iCal?

When I tried to delete a birthday, it says "Only the calendar administrator and any delegates with permission can make changes to read-only calendars. To make changes to the calendar, contact the calendar administrator." I thought I was the administrator.... How do I access the permissions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:28 PM

8 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks Ferd, but that much I knew. The issue is that I have a name on my calendar that says simply "Norma :)'s birthday." When I tried to delete it, I got the message I posted above. My problem is that I am the system administrator for my own laptop, but I can't find a way to access the "read-only" calendar, or otherwise, as the message instructs above.... :/

Apr 22, 2015 12:01 AM in response to Ferd II

Your presumption is correct - there is no Norma in my contacts. Further, when trying to delete the birthday on my calendar, this is the message frame I get - not like yours at all:

User uploaded file

As far as I can tell, I have no other Norma anywhere else, including my google contacts.... I guess what I really want to know is, if I am the admin, how to I effect changes as the admin - as indicated is required in this message?

Apr 22, 2015 7:22 AM in response to Lorraine P.

Lorraine,

What are the "Sharing & Permissions" settings of your Calendars Folder, which is located in your ~/Library Folder?

To find the correct Library Folder, type ~/Library into the Finder>Go>Go to Folder...>Go to the folder: field. When that Library folder opens, click on the Calendars Folder, and use (⌘+I) to reveal your "Sharing & Permissions" settings for that folder.

My Calendars Folder has the following permissions set:

Me "Read & Write"

staff "Read Only"

everyone "Read Only"

User uploaded file

Mar 27, 2016 12:58 PM in response to Ferd II

Hey there,

I have the same problem and the worse is that the birthday is not attached to a contact as the birthday is a mistake (I originally tried to put my excel schedule into Ical, everything was okay about the hours and date but even thought I selected "add it in my pro calendar" it decided to add it to the birthdays calendar.. )

How can you change the permissions then ? I'm not allowed to :s

How do I make changes to birthdays in iCal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.