Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet problem mac os x

I run into this periodically, often when traveling and trying to use a

coffee shop or hotel WiFi network. There's a long standing bug in OS X

where the DHCP handshake doesn't work right, and Apple's "solution" is

to give the computer a self-assigned IP starting with 169. I connect with ethernet or wifi, both have a self assigned ipwhich is a

non-routable IP address. I have no connection to the internet. At my office is the same problem. My mac has a self assigned ip.

I cannot restart the router in a coffee shop or at my work. The funny thing when I use a windows pc i tconnects to the internet without a problem.

I bought a ethernet usb hub for my mac, it worked for a day and now exactly the same problem.

I hope there is a fix for this problem because I hate windows but if thats the only thing that connects to a public network or my office network I have to consider.

Anyone with a simple sollution for this problem.

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 4:01 PM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:12 PM in response to wimgroffi

What OSX are you using?? This is important.. because Yosemite is broken.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Have you set IPv6 to link local only? Apple have moved to IPv6 in a big way.. but most places still are using IPv4.

Apple setup defaults to Auto.. unfortunately that is a total abysmal fail.

Set it yourself for both wireless and ethernet (which you must do when the connection is active).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

What model is the Mac?

Does it have built in ethernet?? USB converter to ethernet are not my favourite at all.

Setting the actual link speed can also be a help at least for the built in.. sometimes speed negotiation can be a problem.

I have to add.. I find the Mac OK.. I keep using NOT YOSEMITE.. that helps.. if the Mac is getting old.. Yosemite install can really mess things up.

Especially upgrades.. I would do hardware test as well as a clean install of an older OS to see if the issue goes away.

Apr 21, 2015 6:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi,

thanks for the response. I have yosemite 10.10.3. I have a 17 inch macbook from early 2009. It has built in ethernet. I used a usb ethernet converter because i thought the build in ethernet port was broke. It worked for a day and then the same problem. I did a clean install to mavericks but still no solution.

the windows pc works like a charm. At least for connection to the internet. I googled and found a program to spoof my mac address and it worked. The only problem now is that everytime my macbooks turns into sleep mode or shuts down I have to start the program again. So it seems that the mac address is the problem. Hopefully there will be a fix in a new update. Apple fix it please because what would become of the world when windows is smarter the os x?

Apr 21, 2015 8:22 PM in response to wimgroffi

I googled and found a program to spoof my mac address and it worked. The only problem now is that everytime my macbooks turns into sleep mode or shuts down I have to start the program again.

This sounds like you have a cable modem and the Airport is bridged instead of running in router mode.. that will definitely fail as the ISP will only supply one or two public IPs.

Post your whole network setup..

What modem you use.. made and model please??

And post the summary page from the airport utility so we can see how the airport is setup.. because you should never need to spoof MAC address.

Apr 22, 2015 9:44 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi,

I don't know what modem they use at my office. I have one week holiday. Next Wednesday I start to work again. When the airport is bridged does it also give a problem when I connect to the network with an ethernet cable? Is there a possibility that my boss blocks my computer by refusing my mac address from my ethernet connection.( and when i spoof my mac address it doesn't show up in an exclusion list ) Wifi at work is not an option because they don't have a wifi network, only a cable network.

Apr 22, 2015 2:14 PM in response to wimgroffi

Is there a possibility that my boss blocks my computer by refusing my mac address from my ethernet connection.( and when i spoof my mac address it doesn't show up in an exclusion list )

That is possible.. I guess the only way is to ask your boss..

Check if he can allow your airport if it is being blocked.

Or simply use static IP..

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981989?answerId=25135547022#25135547022&ac_cid=tw123456#

You will need to be creative to use an IP not already in the list.. if the system is so blocked up then the address should also be firewalled.. but I leave that to your work situation.. don't fight just to end up getting sacked over a MAC address.

Ethernet problem mac os x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.