Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since installing Photos, Aperture can't see my SD card

I installed Yosemite 10.10.3 + Photos on my MBP and got Photos to import my Aperture 3.6 library, just to see what it's like. It was useless to me, so I went back to Aperture.

However, now when I put my SD card into the card reader, it doesn't show up in the top-left of the import screen at all. It does show up in the file browser below, but when I click it, it doesn't read any of my files. The only way I can get it to work is by manually copying the files to my HD and importing them from there. Not amused.

In the picture below, my SD card is named ELI_SD. It definitely has images on it that have not already been imported to my library.

User uploaded file

Aperture 3, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 4:54 PM

2 replies

May 15, 2015 3:45 PM in response to eli.gordon

I am having this same issue, and it also occurs with the new Photos app. I use a Nikon D90 and D300s and Sony RX-100. I also use a Canon S90 but have not imported any photos from it since the 10.10.3 update. I have Aperture set as the app to import photos when a camera is connects. When I insert an SD card for the D90 or D300s, Aperture will launch but stay in the Image Browser. It no longer goes directly to the Import window as before. If I select Import I will get to the Import Window and see the memory card (as shown above). If I navigate the file structure and get to the folder on the SD card that contains the image files, then they will show up in the Import window and I can select all and import as before. A pain, but eventually I get them in through the normal import.

The RX-100 is a different story. The same behavior above occurs and the SD card shows up, but it does not allow me to navigate to the file structure (as described above). I have to go to the card through the finder to move the images into Aperture. If I select all RAW+JPEG pairs and "drag and drop" on Aperture it will tell me all files are imported, but it only imports the JPEGs. Then I have to go manually drag and drop all of the RAW files to them into Aperture. This is terrible!!! My dad is having this exact issue with his Leica D-Lux 5.

I am not really using the new Photos app yet but have some images in it. I have only tried importing from the RX-100 and it exhibits precisely the same behavior as Aperture. If I insert the SD card from the RX-100 it will show up in the Photos Side Bar, but I can not navigate the card and I can not get Photos to import any images from it.

So, the MacOS 10.10.3 update has hosed up the system-wide photo import function and it impacts both Aperture and Photos in what is precisely the same manner based on my experience. I have no experience with iPhoto. This is really terrible and extremely frustrating.

Since installing Photos, Aperture can't see my SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.